How to get a specific machine's IP address with it's name?

Aries

Hi
Let say I wanted to get an IP address of a machine called mybox. How can I
do it in ASP?

Jeff Cochran

Let say I wanted to get an IP address of a machine called mybox. How can I
do it in ASP?

You really can't. Any method you use will have potential flaws, such
as a proxy reporting the proxy's IP instead of the target behind it,
or a DNS lookup not having that machine name tied to the IP address.
On an intranet you have enough control that you may be able to run
client-side code to pull out the information, WMI has enough available
to do this, or you could guarantee that dynamic DNS or WINS resolution
would report the correct info.

Those really aren't strictly ASP, and you'll find plenty of scripting
samples at these sites:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/scriptcenter/Default.asp
http://cwashington.netreach.net/main/default.asp?topic=news

Jeff