How to get CSS to emulate Frames

erikd

OK, frames are evil, but I'm not sure how to emulate the same behavior
using CSS. I currently have a javascript menu that has an expandable
tree in one frame which launches the content in a second.

The advantage I see in frames is that the 2 windows independently
scroll. So when the user expands the tree, the content doesn't scroll
up with the tree. I've looked at a lot of CSS examples looking for a
solution, but I haven't seen one. When using CSS it seems like the
only solution is to scroll the entire window of both columns.

Am I understanding the limits of CSS correctly or is there a
convenient solution? Or do I have the problem stated incorrectly?

Neal

OK, frames are evil, but I'm not sure how to emulate the same behavior
using CSS. I currently have a javascript menu that has an expandable
tree in one frame which launches the content in a second.

The advantage I see in frames is that the 2 windows independently
scroll. So when the user expands the tree, the content doesn't scroll
up with the tree. I've looked at a lot of CSS examples looking for a
solution, but I haven't seen one. When using CSS it seems like the
only solution is to scroll the entire window of both columns.

Am I understanding the limits of CSS correctly or is there a
convenient solution? Or do I have the problem stated incorrectly?

This has been discussed to death over the last month. Read back a bit.

Mark Parnell

OK, frames are evil,

Hooray! A convert!
but I'm not sure how to emulate the same behavior
using CSS.

Why would you want to? The behaviour is evil, remember?
I currently have a javascript menu that has an expandable
tree in one frame which launches the content in a second.

With appropriate fallback for users without Javascript, of course.
The advantage I see in frames is that the 2 windows independently
scroll.

You can do this with CSS, using overflow: scroll; but it still causes
problems - I can't scroll it with my mouse wheel for example.