How to get events from a web service ?

Navin Mishra

Hi,

Is there a way to get events from a web service in platform independent
way ? Could a long standing HTTP GET request be submitted from a client and
server respond to that request when an event comes ? Or perhaps HTTP
chunking could be used ?

Thanks in advance and regards

Navin

John Saunders

Navin Mishra said:
Hi,

Is there a way to get events from a web service in platform independent
way ? Could a long standing HTTP GET request be submitted from a client
and
server respond to that request when an event comes ? Or perhaps HTTP
chunking could be used ?

WCF supports callback contracts. I suppose they could be used for something
like this. I suggest you consider the cost, though. You'll be turning
clients into servers.

Navin Mishra

Thanks. Is there any other way like long standing HTTP GET request or HTTP
chunking so that a client on any platform could get events ?

Thanks again and regards

Navin

Donn Felker

You could look at using a product like NServiceBus that allows for
pub/sub (but then again I'm not sure if you own both ends of the wire in
this case). Worth taking a look at though.