How to get file extention from Content-type.

shilpa

Hi there,

I want to get file extention from file's content-type.
I wanted to handle file with blank name in my mail client.
For handling this I need to create temporary file. For that I need to
decide file extention based on content-type.

getFileNameMap(..) function of UrlConnection constructs FileNameMap but
FileNameMap has method just to fetch content type from file extetion. I
want exactly opposite of this i.e File extention from Content-Type.

It would be great if any one can help me.

Thanks,
Shilpa

Thomas Weidenfeller

shilpa said:
I want to get file extention from file's content-type.
I wanted to handle file with blank name in my mail client.
For handling this I need to create temporary file. For that I need to
decide file extention based on content-type.

getFileNameMap(..) function of UrlConnection constructs FileNameMap but
FileNameMap has method just to fetch content type from file extetion. I
want exactly opposite of this i.e File extention from Content-Type.

Sorry, but this doesn't make much sense. You talk about e-mail (which
would be POP3, IMAP, SMTP or similar), then you talk about a file, but
then you also talk about URLConnection (which would mean HTTP). So what
is it from what you want to get some content type information? And what
content type? I would guess we are talking MIME types here, aren't we?

If it is e-mail, then JavaMail has the means to extract MIME parts from
a mail and provide you with the MIME types of the parts. If it is a file
you probably want the JavaBeans Activation Framework (JAF) alone. If it
is HTTP and URLConnection is not enough, you might want to look into
Apache/Jakarta/Commons.

/Thomas

shilpa

Thanks Thomas...

Sorry for confusion caused..

My problem is I want to handle mail attachments. and some mail client
like Lotus notes sends attachments without file names.
So my issue is I want to create temporary file for handling attachment
without file name. So for that I want to have correct file extension.
And for that I need to get File extesion from Content Type(Mime Type)

So how to get file extesion from file name.

Thanks
Shilpa

shilpa

How to get File Extension from Content type?
I just wanted to know is there something inbuilt available?

I can write code and load content-types.properties file and get file
extension from content type.

If u have any info about same ..please let me know.

Thanks