How to get html scripts to be interpreted via "print"

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Dan Whitaker, Nov 30, 2003.

  1. Dan Whitaker

    Dan Whitaker Guest

    So okay, I'm one of those WebTV./MSNTV freaks. I build a web page on
    WebTV and send the source to a PC running Windows XP, cut/copy/paste
    it into "Notepad" and/or "Word" document and print it and what I get
    is the html source, unrendered. Shouldn't a filetype of RTF out of
    word work?

    I kinda guessed that if maybe I renamed the file to .html that might
    work but how do I go about doing that since I can't see any way from
    within either notepad or word to do a rename. No, no, no, don't tell
    me to go to a DOS prompt to do it now willya?

    Also, I have just gotten back into the PC world after many years,
    (last version of windows I used was 98) and I remember something about
    an "index.html" file being necesssary for web pages on a PC? Can you
    enlighten me about that, refresh my memory about building web pages on
    a PC... what directory or folder to put them in, etc.?

    All help greatly appreciated. It's been a long time and I never did do
    much with web pages on a PC anyhow but have become past master on
    WebTV. :)

    Thanks,
    Dan
     
    Dan Whitaker, Nov 30, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. In article <>,
    says...
    > So okay, I'm one of those WebTV./MSNTV freaks. I build a web page on
    > WebTV and send the source to a PC running Windows XP, cut/copy/paste
    > it into "Notepad" and/or "Word" document and print it and what I get
    > is the html source, unrendered.


    Yes - that's what I would expect. Neither of those applications are
    rendering the HTML, so why would you expect the output to be rendered?
    All the printer does is output what the application tells it to.


    > Shouldn't a filetype of RTF out of
    > word work?


    Work for what?


    > I kinda guessed that if maybe I renamed the file to .html that might
    > work but how do I go about doing that since I can't see any way from
    > within either notepad or word to do a rename. No, no, no, don't tell
    > me to go to a DOS prompt to do it now willya?


    Did the thought of opening the page in Internet Explorer and then
    printing it occur to you?


    > Also, I have just gotten back into the PC world after many years,
    > (last version of windows I used was 98) and I remember something about
    > an "index.html" file being necesssary for web pages on a PC? Can you
    > enlighten me about that, refresh my memory about building web pages on
    > a PC... what directory or folder to put them in, etc.?


    That's misleading. The default document to which you're referring can
    be called anything the server administrator chooses. It just so happens
    that (possibly) the most common name of the default document is
    index.htm/l. That has nothing to do with the PC, either.


    > All help greatly appreciated. It's been a long time and I never did do
    > much with web pages on a PC anyhow but have become past master on
    > WebTV. :)


    Shame. Now that you've got a PC throw the WebTV away and start doing
    things properly.


    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/mfaq.php
     
    Hywel Jenkins, Nov 30, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Dan Whitaker

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On 30 Nov 2003 10:57:27 -0800, (Dan Whitaker) wrote:

    : Also, I have just gotten back into the PC world after many years,
    : (last version of windows I used was 98) and I remember something about
    : an "index.html" file being necesssary for web pages on a PC? Can you
    : enlighten me about that


    http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/
    http://tranchant.plus.com/web/html-start
    http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/
    http://davmagic.com/PAGES22.html
    http://www.draac.com/
    downloadable: http://hakatai.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/download.html

    Sid
     
    Sid Ismail, Nov 30, 2003
    #3
  4. Dan Whitaker

    kchayka Guest

    Sid Ismail wrote:
    > On 30 Nov 2003 10:57:27 -0800, (Dan Whitaker) wrote:
    >
    > : Also, I have just gotten back into the PC world after many years,
    > : (last version of windows I used was 98) and I remember something about
    > : an "index.html" file being necesssary for web pages on a PC? Can you
    > : enlighten me about that
    >
    > http://davmagic.com/PAGES22.html


    Are you serious, or is this an example of what _not_ to do?

    --
    To email a reply, remove (dash)un(dash). Mail sent to the un
    address is considered spam and automatically deleted.
     
    kchayka, Nov 30, 2003
    #4
  5. Dan Whitaker

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 17:34:04 -0600, kchayka <> wrote:

    : Sid Ismail wrote:
    : > On 30 Nov 2003 10:57:27 -0800, (Dan Whitaker) wrote:
    : >
    : > : Also, I have just gotten back into the PC world after many years,
    : > : (last version of windows I used was 98) and I remember something about
    : > : an "index.html" file being necesssary for web pages on a PC? Can you
    : > : enlighten me about that
    : >
    : > http://davmagic.com/PAGES22.html
    :
    : Are you serious, or is this an example of what _not_ to do?


    You have a tutorial site for a newbie to HTML instead?
    That site is OK for someone wanting to start HTML, IMHO.

    Sid
     
    Sid Ismail, Dec 1, 2003
    #5
  6. Sid Ismail wrote:
    > You have a tutorial site for a newbie to HTML instead?


    I don't and he doesn't, but Toby A Inkster does. Take a look at
    http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=150

    > That site is OK for someone wanting to start HTML, IMHO.


    I'll just pretend you're joking, because having soy milk come out of my
    nose is good.
     
    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 1, 2003
    #6
  7. Dan Whitaker

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 09:21:47 GMT, Leif K-Brooks <>
    wrote:

    : I don't and he doesn't, but Toby A Inkster does. Take a look at
    : http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=150


    Looks great! Added it instead of... thanks! :)

    Sid
     
    Sid Ismail, Dec 1, 2003
    #7
  8. Dan Whitaker

    kchayka Guest

    Sid Ismail wrote:
    > On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 09:21:47 GMT, Leif K-Brooks <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > : http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=150
    >
    > Looks great! Added it instead of... thanks! :)


    thank _you_! :)

    --
    To email a reply, remove (dash)un(dash). Mail sent to the un
    address is considered spam and automatically deleted.
     
    kchayka, Dec 1, 2003
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Chris Beall
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    643
    Chris Beall
    Dec 14, 2005
  2. Jan Danielsson
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    651
    Mike Meyer
    Jul 22, 2005
  3. keto
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,018
  4. David Cournapeau

    print a vs print '%s' % a vs print '%f' a

    David Cournapeau, Dec 30, 2008, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    381
    David Cournapeau
    Dec 30, 2008
  5. nobrow
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    115
    James Britt
    Oct 23, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page