How to get make to work under Cygwin bash shell

brianj

I have an older version of Cygwin (B20) under which "make" works fine.
I recently installed the latest version of Cygwin. When I type
"make" at the command prompt, I get the message:

bash: make: command not found

I have a Makefile in the local directory and ran a ./configure script
which ran successfully.

So how do I configure my bash shell to recognize the make command ?
When I look at my environment variables, the only variable related to
make is:

MAKE_MODE=unix

which I'm sure doesn't have any bearing on this.

I'm sure the answer is something simple. It's been a while since I
used makefiles.

Can anyone help me ?

Mike Wahler

brianj said:
I have an older version of Cygwin (B20) under which "make" works fine.
I recently installed the latest version of Cygwin. When I type
"make" at the command prompt, I get the message:

bash: make: command not found

I have a Makefile in the local directory and ran a ./configure script
which ran successfully.

So how do I configure my bash shell to recognize the make command ?
When I look at my environment variables, the only variable related to
make is:

MAKE_MODE=unix

which I'm sure doesn't have any bearing on this.

I'm sure the answer is something simple. It's been a while since I
used makefiles.

Can anyone help me ?

Sure, as soon ask you ask for help with the C language,
which does not cover 'make' or particular platforms.

See:
http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/bchambless0/welcome_to_clc.html

-Mike

Mac

I have an older version of Cygwin (B20) under which "make" works fine.
I recently installed the latest version of Cygwin. When I type
"make" at the command prompt, I get the message:

bash: make: command not found

I have a Makefile in the local directory and ran a ./configure script
which ran successfully.

So how do I configure my bash shell to recognize the make command ?
When I look at my environment variables, the only variable related to
make is:

MAKE_MODE=unix

which I'm sure doesn't have any bearing on this.

I'm sure the answer is something simple. It's been a while since I
used makefiles.

Can anyone help me ?

This question is off-topic, but it sure sounds like you didn't install
make. I'm sure cygwin has a mailing list or something. You could try
asking for help there.

regards,
Mac