How to get more data from a gridview's underlying datasource?

Curious Trigger

Hi there,

I have got a gridview showing a display-name of a person and keeping its
person-id as value accessible.

Now I am wondering how I can get to his age, if this field isn't visible in
the gridview but definied in the underlying datasource (a dataset)?

Has anyone got a idea on this problem?

Thank you for your quick answers!

Sincerly yours,
Curious SQL-Trigger

Eliyahu Goldin

The grid items (row) have property DataItem. You need to typecast it to the
type representing a row in your datasource.

Curious Trigger

Eliyahu, thanks a lot for this tipp. I will give it a try and tell you the
outcoming.

Curious Trigger

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant

Curious Trigger said:
Hi there,

I have got a gridview showing a display-name of a person and keeping its
person-id as value accessible.

Now I am wondering how I can get to his age, if this field isn't visible
in the gridview but definied in the underlying datasource (a dataset)?

Has anyone got a idea on this problem?

Thank you for your quick answers!

Sincerly yours,
Curious SQL-Trigger

Greg9Strat

There's a couple of ways you can add this. I assume you are using some
version of Visual Studio 2005/Express... In the designer, the smart
tag/menu has an "Edit Items" command that will open a new window and
you can add the item there (add a BoundField). In the properties, put
the column name from your query into the "DataTextField" property.
This is the easiest of methods...

If you are more comfortable with the code or are not using an IDE like
VS 2005, then locate the control in your source and add the following
to <asp:GridView> - <Columns>

<asp:BoundField DataField="data_age" HeaderText="Age"
SortExpression="data_age"/>

Replace 'data_age' with whatever your query is returning.

Curious Trigger

Thanks for this info!

What I am searching for is how I can get to a column of a gridview, if this
column is defined in the underlying datasource but in the gridview it is
invisible. It is strange that I am not able to access this invisible piece
of information; at least not through the gridview. I have still to test the
advice of Mr. Goldin: getting the actual datarow of the underlying
datasource sounds very reasonable for me.

Yours Curious Trigger