How to get return value from a spawned process?

Peter

Hi,

I have the following scenarios: client/server programs implemented with
winsock are installed on all systems inthe network (assume it contains s1,
s2, and s3, and other systems). If I send a command from s0 client to s1
server, which ask s1 server to execute a command line of s1 client to talk
with s2 server, s2 server will return value (error code in my case) to s1
client. My question is how I can get the returned value on s0?

The command line execution on s1 is realized by calling system(), to which I
pass the client program name (the client program will returns error code),
and the processed data from s0, but system() only return -1 or 0 to indicate
error or succeed. I also looked at CreateProcess(), but still couldn't see
how I can get the returned value from client execution.

Anybody got idea?

Thanks,
Peter

Victor Bazarov

Peter said:
I have the following scenarios: client/server programs implemented with
winsock are installed on all systems inthe network (assume it contains s1,
s2, and s3, and other systems). If I send a command from s0 client to s1
server, which ask s1 server to execute a command line of s1 client to talk
with s2 server, s2 server will return value (error code in my case) to s1
client. My question is how I can get the returned value on s0?

The command line execution on s1 is realized by calling system(), to which I
pass the client program name (the client program will returns error code),
and the processed data from s0, but system() only return -1 or 0 to indicate
error or succeed. I also looked at CreateProcess(), but still couldn't see
how I can get the returned value from client execution.

Anybody got idea?

Since we can only suggest solutions that are or can be written in the
Standard C++, my only suggestion is to create a file with all the return
codes you want.

The rest is off-topic.

Victor