how to get selectedvalue of radiobuttonlist in Javascript?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Arnold, Nov 12, 2006.

  1. Arnold

    Arnold Guest

    Hi,

    I need the SelectedValue of a radiobuttonlist in a Javascript variable. The
    radiobuttonlist is only used in a form for inputting data into a database.
    Before sending it to the database, i check the inputted values in
    Javascript.
    (By the way there is also a dropdownlist in the form, and i have no problem
    with getting its SelectedValue with the same javascript code). With the
    radiobuttonlist, i get "undefined" as value.

    Thanks for helping me
    Arnold

    The radiobuttonlist is created in the code-behind like this:

    Dim rb As RadioButtonList
    Dim frm As HtmlForm = Me.FindControl("form1")
    Dim rbl(2) As ListItem
    rb = New RadioButtonList
    rbl(1) = New ListItem("option 1", 1)
    rb.Items.Add(rbl(1))
    rbl(2) = New ListItem("option 2", 2).
    rb.Items.Add(rbl(2))
    rb.ID = "radio1"
    frm.Controls.Add(rb)

    The code in the aspx file:
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
    <input id="Sub1" type="button" value="submit" onclick="checkvalue()"/>
    </form>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var antw
    function checkvalue()
    {
    antw=document.getElementById("radio1").value
    alert(antw) // this gives: undefined
    </script>
    Arnold, Nov 12, 2006

  2. Arnold wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need the SelectedValue of a radiobuttonlist in a Javascript
    > variable. The radiobuttonlist is only used in a form for inputting
    > data into a database. Before sending it to the database, i check the
    > inputted values in Javascript.
    > (By the way there is also a dropdownlist in the form, and i have no
    > problem with getting its SelectedValue with the same javascript
    > code). With the radiobuttonlist, i get "undefined" as value.
    >
    > Thanks for helping me
    > Arnold
    >
    > The radiobuttonlist is created in the code-behind like this:
    >
    > Dim rb As RadioButtonList
    > Dim frm As HtmlForm = Me.FindControl("form1")
    > Dim rbl(2) As ListItem
    > rb = New RadioButtonList
    > rbl(1) = New ListItem("option 1", 1)
    > rb.Items.Add(rbl(1))
    > rbl(2) = New ListItem("option 2", 2).
    > rb.Items.Add(rbl(2))
    > rb.ID = "radio1"
    > frm.Controls.Add(rb)
    >
    > The code in the aspx file:
    > <form id="form1" runat="server">
    > <input id="Sub1" type="button" value="submit" onclick="checkvalue()"/>
    > </form>
    > <script type="text/javascript">
    > var antw
    > function checkvalue()
    > {
    > antw=document.getElementById("radio1").value
    > alert(antw) // this gives: undefined
    > </script>

    Run the page then View Source to see the radio buttons generated by the .Net
    control. This will reveal their IDs at which point it should be a simple
    matter to to use getElementById to get the value.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Nov 12, 2006

  3. Arnold

    johns221b Guest

    "Arnold" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I need the SelectedValue of a radiobuttonlist in a Javascript variable. The
    > radiobuttonlist is only used in a form for inputting data into a database.
    > Before sending it to the database, i check the inputted values in
    > Javascript.
    > (By the way there is also a dropdownlist in the form, and i have no problem
    > with getting its SelectedValue with the same javascript code). With the
    > radiobuttonlist, i get "undefined" as value.
    >
    > Thanks for helping me
    > Arnold

    RadionList value can be processed in server side before sending to database.
    radio1.SelectedItem.Text
    For javascript you will have to loop through the collection of radio
    buttons and check whether its checked or not, then take cchecked value.

    thanks,
    John Chacko

    johns221b, Nov 12, 2006
  4. Arnold

    MikeS Guest

    Since a RadioButton list doesn't have a OnClientClick property you can
    add something like it and save the selected value.

    <%@ Page Language="VB" %>

    <script runat="server">
    System.EventArgs)
    InitList()
    End Sub
    Private Sub InitList()
    For Each li As ListItem In RadioButtonList1.Items
    li.Attributes.Add("onclick", "rb_click(this)")
    Next
    TextBox1.Text = RadioButtonList1.SelectedValue
    End Sub
    System.EventArgs)
    End Sub
    </script>

    <head>
    <title></title>

    <script type="text/javascript">
    function rb_click(el) {
    document.getElementById("<%=TextBox1.ClientID%>").value =
    el.value;
    }
    </script>

    </head>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
    <asp:TextBox ID="TextBox1" runat="server"></asp:TextBox><br
    />
    <asp:RadioButtonList ID="RadioButtonList1" runat="server">
    <asp:ListItem Selected="True">A</asp:ListItem>
    <asp:ListItem>B</asp:ListItem>
    <asp:ListItem>C</asp:ListItem>
    </asp:RadioButtonList>
    <asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server"
    OnClick="Button1_Click" Text="Button" />
    </form>
    MikeS, Nov 12, 2006
  5. Arnold

    Arnold Guest