how to get statistics about memory usage ?

Joe Estock

Jordan said:
Kenny McCormack wrote:
[usual crap]

You're still alive Kenny? I thought someone would have killfiled you by now.

You know - i don't think you understand how a "killfile" works. It
blocks him from being seen by the person who sets the killfile entry,
unless someone else [you] responds to him. If you want him gone, _you_
have to "killfile" him [i'm not sure how thunderbird 1.0.9 does it, but
surely there's some way to ignore or mark-as-read based on from address]

Forgot to add this bit of information to my previous post, but FWIW in
Thunderbird you add what's called a "Message Filter". Tools->Message
Filters->New.

Richard Heathfield

Kenny McCormack said:

That shows that we did the right thing.

"Excuse me, I'd like to buy a stamp."
"Ah, we're a greengrocer; we don't sell stamps here. Lettuce, yes, letters,
no. You want the post office. It's just over the road. See the sign?"
"Oh! Thank you very much..."

The OP gets his stamp much quicker that way. And it'll be a good stamp, not
just a potato-cut.
It's what we do. We're not allowed to talk about anything substantive, so
this is what we do.

Wrong on several counts:

1) there's loads of substantive stuff to discuss here; the fact that you
don't realise that it's substantive is irrelevant;
2) you can talk about whatever you like, and we ask only that you find a
newsgroup where that subject is topical;
3) whilst we do occasionally have discussions emanating from off-topic
questions, that isn't really "what we do" - what we do is C, and some of
the folks here are extremely good at it.

You appear to delight in parading your ignorance of these facts, so that all
the world may know that you cannot grasp a simple classification concept
such as topicality.

You also seem to think that the opinions you express on comp.lang.c are
worth as much as anyone else's. Well, they will be, when (and only when)
you demonstrate that your knowledge of C is sufficiently encyclopaedic that
it becomes a good use of people's time to put up with your drivel for the
sake of your expertise. Until then, you will always remain mere background
noise.

Mark McIntyre

Since then, we've seen about a dozen articles, some from old hands,
continuing a debate about exactly what is, and what is not, a
Linux-specific feature.

You're right, we shold probably have shut up. Occasionally however,
misinformation supplied here is sufficiently annoying or misleading to
cause responses even from those who should know better.

Kenny McCormack

(the usual crap)
You also seem to think that the opinions you express on comp.lang.c are
worth as much as anyone else's. Well, they will be, when (and only when)
you demonstrate that your knowledge of C is sufficiently encyclopaedic that
it becomes a good use of people's time to put up with your drivel for the
sake of your expertise.

I believe the relevant phrase here is: PKB
Until then, you will always remain mere background noise.

Blah, blah, blah.

Joe Estock

Richard said:
Kenny McCormack said:

That shows that we did the right thing.

"Excuse me, I'd like to buy a stamp."
"Ah, we're a greengrocer; we don't sell stamps here. Lettuce, yes, letters,
no. You want the post office. It's just over the road. See the sign?"
"Oh! Thank you very much..."

The OP gets his stamp much quicker that way. And it'll be a good stamp, not
just a potato-cut.

I agree completely. Why would we tell someone to use their hand to drive
in a nail when we can point them to a hammer instead. I agree that some
replys are a bit cocky in this regard, however in my experience it does
nothing more than further encourage the OP to seek help in another (more
appropriate) newsgroup as opposed to this one.
Wrong on several counts:

1) there's loads of substantive stuff to discuss here; the fact that you
don't realise that it's substantive is irrelevant;
2) you can talk about whatever you like, and we ask only that you find a
newsgroup where that subject is topical;
3) whilst we do occasionally have discussions emanating from off-topic
questions, that isn't really "what we do" - what we do is C, and some of
the folks here are extremely good at it.

In addition to the above, we sometimes talk about popular extensions to
the c langauge that are resident in nearly all implementations of the
standard c library and that in itself is still on topic IMHO so long as
it's clear that it's not an official part of the standard. This
distinction is very important because newcomers to the group may think
that the extension we are discussing is part of the actual c standard
and then we grow a new breed of misguided programmers. To further prove
this point, I used to work with a few guys who thought that MFC
(Microsoft Foundation Classes) were in fact part of the standard c
library as outlined by the C89 standard and they would argue with me
over it for hours at a time if I let them.
You appear to delight in parading your ignorance of these facts, so that all
the world may know that you cannot grasp a simple classification concept
such as topicality.

I've noticed this more and more over the past few weeks. Kenny seems to
like disrupting posts in order to delight himself (or so it would seem
since none of the regulars seem to pay him any mind). He always whines
and complains that we're strictly on topic here and that is not always
the case. We don't always adhere to the rules when replying to a message
(my reply being case and point), however nobody minds. Even when a post
does not adhere to the rules here, we prefix the message with the
characters [OT] which allows others to filter out the junk from the juice.
You also seem to think that the opinions you express on comp.lang.c are
worth as much as anyone else's. Well, they will be, when (and only when)
you demonstrate that your knowledge of C is sufficiently encyclopaedic that
it becomes a good use of people's time to put up with your drivel for the
sake of your expertise. Until then, you will always remain mere background
noise.

Well put and I completely agree. Perhaps Kenny will one day grow up and
learn that this newsgroup is not a battleground for showing off your
leet typing skills, rather it is an invaluable tool to those of us who
actually know c and need a little help now and again. Of course I
personaly feel that by the time this happens earth will no longer be
populated with c programmers as we will all have established life on
another planet that is not infested with trolls such as Kenny. Again,
that's just my personal view on things.

That's just my two cents.

Joe

Joe Estock

Richard Heathfield wrote
Kenny McCormack said

It's very interesting to note that the first reply to this topic wa
someone quickly highlighting how off-topic the topic was. The O ha
since moved on to comp.unix.programmer, and received a helpfu reply

That shows that we did the right thing

"Excuse me, I'd like to buy a stamp.
"Ah, we're a greengrocer; we don't sell stamps here. Lettuce, yes letters
no. You want the post office. It's just over the road. See th sign?
"Oh! Thank you very much...

The OP gets his stamp much quicker that way. And it'll be a goo stamp, no
just a potato-cut
I agree completely. Why would we tell someone to use their hand t
drive
in a nail when we can point them to a hammer instead. I agree tha
some
replys are a bit cocky in this regard, however in my experience i
does
nothing more than further encourage the OP to seek help in anothe
(more
appropriate) newsgroup as opposed to this one
Since then, we've seen about a dozen articles, some from old hands
continuing a debate about exactly what is, and what is not,
Linux-specific feature

It's what we do. We're not allowed to talk about anythin substantive, s
this is what we do

Wrong on several counts

1) there's loads of substantive stuff to discuss here; the fact tha yo
don't realise that it's substantive is irrelevant
2) you can talk about whatever you like, and we ask only that yo find
newsgroup where that subject is topical
3) whilst we do occasionally have discussions emanating fro off-topi
questions, that isn't really "what we do" - what we do is C, an some o
the folks here are extremely good at it
In addition to the above, we sometimes talk about popular extension
the c langauge that are resident in nearly all implementations of the
standard c library and that in itself is still on topic IMHO so lon
as
it's clear that it's not an official part of the standard. This
distinction is very important because newcomers to the group may thin

that the extension we are discussing is part of the actual c standard
and then we grow a new breed of misguided programmers. To furthe
prove
this point, I used to work with a few guys who thought that MFC
(Microsoft Foundation Classes) were in fact part of the standard c
library as outlined by the C89 standard and they would argue with me
over it for hours at a time if I let them
You appear to delight in parading your ignorance of these facts, s that al
the world may know that you cannot grasp a simple classificatio concep
such as topicality
I've noticed this more and more over the past few weeks. Kenny seem
like disrupting posts in order to delight himself (or so it would see

since none of the regulars seem to pay him any mind). He always whine

and complains that we're strictly on topic here and that is not alway

the case. We don't always adhere to the rules when replying to
message
(my reply being case and point), however nobody minds. Even when
post
does not adhere to the rules here, we prefix the message with the
characters [OT] which allows others to filter out the junk from th
juice
You also seem to think that the opinions you express on comp.lang. ar
worth as much as anyone else's. Well, they will be, when (and onl when
you demonstrate that your knowledge of C is sufficientl encyclopaedic tha
it becomes a good use of people's time to put up with your drive for th
sake of your expertise. Until then, you will always remain mer backgroun
noise
Well put and I completely agree. Perhaps Kenny will one day grow u
and
learn that this newsgroup is not a battleground for showing off your
leet typing skills, rather it is an invaluable tool to those of us wh

actually know c and need a little help now and again. Of course I
personaly feel that by the time this happens earth will no longer be
populated with c programmers as we will all have established life on
another planet that is not infested with trolls such as Kenny. Again,
that's just my personal view on things.

That's just my two cents.

Joe

Kenny McCormack

Joe Estock said:
Well put and I completely agree. Perhaps Kenny will one day grow up and
learn that this newsgroup is not a battleground for showing off your
leet typing skills, rather it is an invaluable tool to those of us who
actually know c and need a little help now and again. Of course I
personaly feel that by the time this happens earth will no longer be
populated with c programmers as we will all have established life on
another planet that is not infested with trolls such as Kenny. Again,
that's just my personal view on things.

My intent is A) never to grow up and B) never to post the same message
twice.
That's just my two cents.

4 cents now.