How to get system.IO access to UNC resources using virtual directory configuration SERVER SIDE?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Dwaine, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Dwaine

Dwaine Guest

I got stumpped on this a while back and used a workaround that involved the "same local username/pwd on both servers" method. Now I'd like to find a cleaner method...

The setup
    A webApp (lets say C:\WebApp\) with a subordinate virtual director
    (./Images) using an UNC path (e.g. \\ImageServer\Images\ ) to a remote directory, using pre-defined credientials configured via IIS manager or directoryservices using UNCUserName and UNCPassword. The configuration works fine, as the Client-Side can browse ./Images just fine using the configured credentials. programmatic acces from code-behind is another story..

The problem
    in code-behind, using the system.io namespace objects require the physical path (\\ImageServer\Images\). But the current user (sa
    IUSR_Machinename) doesn't have access to this (or any other remote) resource for security purposes. Opening a file from the raw UNC bypasses the virtual directory's configuration and attempts access using the current user context

How can I get to the resources of a virtual directory from the server side? Am I missing something with system.IO or maybe a totally different namespace

any help or comments (no matter how brutal) will be greatly appreciated... Dwain

Dwaine, Feb 17, 2004
    1. Advertising