How to get the signature of the method you are in?

Lethal Possum

Hello everyone,

I use the following code to do some benchmarking of my application:

public void go(String arg) {
if (TRACE) {
try {
_impl.go(arg);
} finally {
long stop = System.currentTimeMillis();
Log.trace(_impl.getClass(), "go(String arg)", stop - start);
}
} else {
_impl.go(arg);

I was wondering what would be the most efficient way to generate the
"go(String arg)" message automatically. A solution would be to do
something like:

Throwable t = new Throwable();
StackTraceElement s = t.getStackTrace()[0];
String message = s.getMethodName();

But this strikes me as neither very elegant or efficient. And it
doesn't include the full method signature, only the method name. Maybe
someone have a better idea?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,

Thomas

Daniel Pitts

[...]

You can also look into creating a tracing Proxy class

look for java.lang.reflect.Proxy

It basically allows you to trap method calls. If TRACE doesn't
change, you could even make a factory the returns the _impl object if !
TRACE, and return the proxy if TRACE. That provides even better
performance.

Beyond that, you might even look into AspectJ or other Aspect Oriented
Programming (AOP) frameworks.