How to get this height info? Impossible?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Martin Honnen, Oct 25, 2003.

  1. Paul wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'm wondering if someone out there can help me overcome this quandary.
    > I need to be able to calculate the height of the current page. I need to
    > calculate the height of the page in pixels after all images and text have
    > been displayed. This is the area that the visitor can 'scroll' up and down
    > in.
    > I have already calculated the height of the useable part of the browser
    > using:
    > document.body.clientHeight
    >
    > Has anybody any ideas?
    > Is this possible?

    var docHeight;
    if (typeof document.height != 'undefined') {
    docHeight = document.height;
    }
    else if (document.body && typeof document.body.scrollHeight !=
    'undefined') {
    docHeight = document.body.scrollHeight;
    }
    should work with NN4 and later and IE4 and later. Only problem is
    IE6/Win in standards compliant mode where you need
    document.documentElement.scrollHeight
    so with some more checks
    var docHeight;
    if (typeof document.height != 'undefined') {
    docHeight = document.height;
    }
    else if (document.compatMode && document.compatMode != 'BackCompat') {
    docHeight = document.documentElement.scrollHeight;
    }
    else if (document.body && typeof document.body.scrollHeight !=
    'undefined') {
    docHeight = document.body.scrollHeight;

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Paul, Oct 25, 2003

  3. Paul wrote:

> [...]

    > Thanks for your suggestions but these methods aren't returning the actual
    > height of the page (the 'scrollable' height)
    >
    > I know can use object.scrollHeight to retrieve the scrolling height of the
    > object:
    >
    > http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/nhp/default.asp?contentid=28000441
    >
    > But when I use:
    >
    > document.write("document.body.scrollHeight is " +
    > document.body.scrollHeight);
    >
    > It doesn't return the correct value.
    >
    > Please see\try the html at the end of this post where I try many different
    > methods to get the value I want.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions off anyone,
    >
    > Paul
    > ----------

    > <head>
    > <title>Example</title>
    > <SCRIPT TYPE="text/javascript">
    > <!--
    > function redo()
    > {
    > window.location.reload();
    > }
    > window.onresize = redo;
    > //-->
    > </SCRIPT>
    > <SCRIPT TYPE="text/javascript">
    > <!--
    > document.write("document.body.scrollHeight is " +
    > document.body.scrollHeight);
    > document.write("<br>document.body.clientHeight is " +
    > document.body.clientHeight);
    > document.write("<br>document.body.offsetHeight is " +
    > document.body.offsetHeight);
    > document.write("<br>document.body.clientHeight is " +
    > document.body.clientHeight);
    > document.write("<br>document.body.scrollHeight is " +
    > document.body.scrollHeight);
    > document.write("<br>document.documentElement.scrollHeight is " +
    > document.documentElement.scrollHeight);
    > document.write("<br>document.height is " + document.height);
    > document.write("<br>window.dialogHeight is " + window.dialogHeight);
    > document.write("<br>screen.height is " + screen.height);
    > document.write("<br>document.scrollHeight is " + document.scrollHeight);
    > var docHeight1;
    > if (typeof document.height != 'undefined') {
    > docHeight1 = document.height;
    > }
    > else if (document.body && typeof document.body.scrollHeight !=
    > 'undefined') {
    > docHeight1 = document.body.scrollHeight;
    > }
    > document.write("<br><br>docHeight1 is " + docHeight1);
    > var docHeight2;
    > if (typeof document.height != 'undefined') {
    > docHeight2 = document.height;
    > }
    > else if (document.compatMode && document.compatMode != 'BackCompat') {
    > docHeight2 = document.documentElement.scrollHeight;
    > }
    > else if (document.body && typeof document.body.scrollHeight !=
    > 'undefined') {
    > docHeight2 = document.body.scrollHeight;
    > }
    > document.write("<br>docHeight2 is " + docHeight2);

    Well, how do you suppose the browser can return the height of the
    complete page here at this point where the complete page has not yet
    been loaded. I still think you are looking for the value I suggested but
    of course you should only read the value after the page has been loaded
    and not while it loads.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Oct 26, 2003
  4. Martin Honnen

    Paul Guest

> [...]

    docHeight1 = document.height;
    }
    else if (document.body && typeof document.body.scrollHeight !=
    'undefined') {
    docHeight1 = document.body.scrollHeight;
    }
    document.write("<br><br>docHeight1 is " + docHeight1);
    var docHeight2;
    if (typeof document.height != 'undefined') {
    docHeight2 = document.height;
    }
    else if (document.compatMode && document.compatMode != 'BackCompat') {
    docHeight2 = document.documentElement.scrollHeight;
    }
    else if (document.body && typeof document.body.scrollHeight !=
    'undefined') {
    docHeight2 = document.body.scrollHeight;
    }
    document.write("<br>docHeight2 is " + docHeight2);
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>
    how long this is.</p>

    Paul, Oct 26, 2003
  5. Martin Honnen

    Paul Guest

> [...]

    > > document.write("<br><br>docHeight1 is " + docHeight1);
    > > var docHeight2;
    > > if (typeof document.height != 'undefined') {
    > > docHeight2 = document.height;
    > > }
    > > else if (document.compatMode && document.compatMode != 'BackCompat') {
    > > docHeight2 = document.documentElement.scrollHeight;
    > > }
    > > else if (document.body && typeof document.body.scrollHeight !=
    > > 'undefined') {
    > > docHeight2 = document.body.scrollHeight;
    > > }
    > > document.write("<br>docHeight2 is " + docHeight2);

    > Well, how do you suppose the browser can return the height of the
    > complete page here at this point where the complete page has not yet
    > been loaded. I still think you are looking for the value I suggested but
    > of course you should only read the value after the page has been loaded

    A good point, thanks.

    When would be the best time to run this code? Considering that even
    though the page has fully loaded, the images upon the page may not have been
    loaded yet, and the height of the 'scrollable' size may change again.

    A time delay would be undesirable.

    This is what I have tried so far:

    <head>
    <title>Tamarish Art</title>
    <SCRIPT TYPE="text/javascript">
    <!--
    function pageHeight()
    {
    var docHeight;
    if (typeof document.height != 'undefined') {
    docHeight = document.height;
    }
    else if (document.compatMode && document.compatMode != 'BackCompat') {
    docHeight = document.documentElement.scrollHeight;
    }
    else if (document.body && typeof document.body.scrollHeight !=
    'undefined') {
    docHeight = document.body.scrollHeight;
    window.onload = pageHeight;
    //-->
    </SCRIPT>
    </head>
    <SCRIPT TYPE="text/javascript">
    <!--
    document.write("Scrollable page height is " + docHeight);
    //-->
    </SCRIPT>

    However, when I open the page, I get an error:
    'docHeight' is undefined

    Can you help me iron out these last few creases?

    Thank-you very much for your help,

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 26, 2003