How to get values back from new window opened using window.open()

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Manjit, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. Manjit

    Manjit Guest

    Hi Everyone,
    Can you help me with getting values returned from a new window opened
    using window.open(). I am currently using a modalDialog to return me
    the values but it doesn't work in Netscape. I am trying to make it
    work the same way but can't.

    Problem Definition:
    I have this form to fill up with some account numbers. So I am giving
    user to click a button that opens new window where they can do Search
    for it. When searched user has the option of clicking from the list of
    Account Numbers and I want to return the values to the Main window.
    I am able to open the new window but the new window has to act like
    modal Dialog so that user can interact with and then return the
    selection values back to main page. When the user selects something
    the new window has to refresh the Main window so that user can see the
    fields those recieved the values.

    Hope you can understand what I am trying to do.
    Code that is current but used for ModalDialog:
    calling in javascript:
    --------
    var sFACode = searchBox(sURL,"");
    --------
    function searchBox(sURL, sOptions)
    dim vResult
    if sOptions = "" then
    vResult = showModalDialog(sURL, "",
    "resizable:yes;center:yes;dialogHeight:600px;dialogWidth:500px")
    else
    vResult = showModalDialog(sURL, "", sOptions)
    end if
    searchBox = vResult
    end function

    sub closeOK(vValue)
    returnValue = vValue
    close
    end sub

    Please help as I am trying to get the same functionality but using
    window.open()

    Manjit, Jul 25, 2003