How to give access by group from cmd line?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Juan Dent, Mar 28, 2007.

  1. Juan Dent

    Juan Dent Guest

    Hi,

    I have a web project that I started building below My Documents\Visual
    Studio folder. When trying to place it in IIS 5.1 (I am running XPSP2) I get
    an error:

    -----------------
    Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity does not
    have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error: 0x80070005 Access
    is denied.
    -----------------

    I believed all I needed to do was to move the content outside of my
    restricted My Documents tree, then this will disappear. So I moved it to
    C:\JD Learning\... but the problem remains.

    I tried using AccessEnums.exe (from sysinternals) and I found that my moved
    folders don grant read nor write access to "Users" in general -- and thus not
    to ASPNET account.

    So I tried using cacls like so:

    CACLS "JD Learning" /E /T /G ASPNET:R

    and now it is possible to see the web site.

    My question is how can I give this permission from the cmd line to a whole
    group of users - not only user by user?
    --
    Thanks in advance,

    Juan Dent, M.Sc.

    Juan Dent, Mar 28, 2007

  2. Hi Juan,

    Regarding the question about using "CACLS" to grant access to a group
    instead of a user, actually you can use a group name where a user name can
    be used, for example:

    CACLS "JD Learning" /E /T /G Users:R

    Please feel free to let me know if you need anything else.

    Regards,
    Walter Wang (, remove 'online.')
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Mar 28, 2007

  3. Hi Juan,

    I hope I didn't misunderstand your question in my last reply. Would you
    please let me know the status of this post? Thanks.

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Apr 2, 2007