How to give selective access to the methods in a class?

toton

Hi,
I have a class Document, which represents the data repository (a
singleton class), from where the whole application gets the nessery
Objects they need. Which prevents me from passing the Data from method
to method.
Now I only want to give access some of the class to modify some of the
data.
Thus like, Document object can return CC object, or Segment object or
Header object.
Now only SegmentCalculator can create (may be modify sometimes,
otherwise they are immutable) a segment, the other can get Segment
object, which has no setters.
Similarly HeaderCalculator can create a header and store in the
Document. others can use it.

remaining organization and class relationships are flexible. Only my
concern is a good OO design for this (in Java) . I have thought a
package level modifier for setters in Document, but doesn't seems a
good solution, ans SegmentCalculator & Headercalculator may be in
different package.

Thus the basic idea is to operate on a set of data objects, where all
can use them, but only some can modify.
How to organize this kind of situation into class representation? Any
pattern exists for this? I have searched GOF book & Java Patterns, but
unable to locate a good solution for this kind of senario.

any kind of help is appriciated.

Chris Uppal

toton said:
I have a class Document, which represents the data repository (a
singleton class), from where the whole application gets the nessery
Objects they need.

"Document" seems a strange name for what you describe as a "repository".

Which prevents me from passing the Data from method
to method.
Now I only want to give access some of the class to modify some of the
data.
Thus like, Document object can return CC object, or Segment object or
Header object.
Now only SegmentCalculator can create (may be modify sometimes,
otherwise they are immutable) a segment, the other can get Segment
object, which has no setters.
Similarly HeaderCalculator can create a header and store in the
Document. others can use it.

Maybe you could use an extra level of indirection. If you have (in the same
package as Document) a collection of other classes like HeaderWriter,
SegmentWriter, and so on. These have public methods which can write the
relevant data to the repository, but only the repository can create them. Then
the SegmentCalculator (and similar) would /use/ a SegmentWriter (which they
would get from the repository in some controlled way) to perform their limited
updates. Of course the issue here is what kind of control you want to apply
to passing out SegmentWriter instances -- but that depends on what you want to
achieve with this level of extra "security", and you haven't told us that.

Another, rather similar, approach would be to make SegmentWriter, etc, into
base classes which SegmentCalculator would extend. SegmentWriter's methods for
changing the data would be protected (and probably their constructors too).
Thus an XxxxCalculator class would gain the "right" to update parts of the
repository only by inheriting from one of the XxxxWriter classes.

You may consider both of the above ideas to be over-complicated for what they
achieve, and -- truth be told -- I'm inclined to agree. It doesn't sound (to
me, from over here) as if the extra level of control is actually buying you
very much.

-- chris

Eric Sosman

toton said:
[...]

"Only SegmentCalculator can [modify] a Segment ..." Okay,
make Segment an inner class of SegmentCalculator, and make
Segment's constructors and modifiers private. Since Segment
is inside SegmentCalculator, its private methods and fields
are accessible to SegmentCalculator but not to any "outside"
classes.

Same strategy for HeaderCalculator and Header.

Document can contain as many Headers and Segments as you
choose, but cannot modify them (it does not have access to
their setters). In this way Document resembles ArrayList or
HashSet: its job is to hold things, evict things, dole out
references to things, and tell you whether certain things are
or aren't there, but not to make changes to those things.

toton

Eric said:
toton said:
[...]

yes that will help, as only SegmentCalculator can modify a segment ...
Same strategy for HeaderCalculator and Header.
true.
Document can contain as many Headers and Segments as you
choose, but cannot modify them (it does not have access to
their setters). In this way Document resembles ArrayList or
HashSet: its job is to hold things, evict things, dole out
references to things, and tell you whether certain things are
or aren't there, but not to make changes to those things.
Can Document hold reference to an inner class?
No, Document is not an ArrayList. It holds exactly one Header, and an
ArrayList of Segment's , and can return Document or an element from
Segment ArrayList ( dont allow to add an element to the ArrayList or
remove, just returns the Iterator) .

Patricia Shanahan

toton said:
Eric said:
toton said:
[...]

Why can't Document hold a reference to an inner class? Remember the
inner class itself does not need to be private, just the methods and
constructors that only SegmentCalculator should call.

If you prefer, you can have the inner class implement an interface, and
have Document refer to it through the interface.

Patricia

Eric Sosman

toton said:
Eric said:
[...]
Document can contain as many Headers and Segments as you
choose, but cannot modify them (it does not have access to
their setters). In this way Document resembles ArrayList or
HashSet: its job is to hold things, evict things, dole out
references to things, and tell you whether certain things are
or aren't there, but not to make changes to those things.
Can Document hold reference to an inner class?

Yes. Inner classes are classes.
No, Document is not an ArrayList. It holds exactly one Header, and an
ArrayList of Segment's , and can return Document or an element from
Segment ArrayList ( dont allow to add an element to the ArrayList or
remove, just returns the Iterator) .

I didn't mean that Document *is* an ArrayList or HashSet,
I meant that it is *similar* to those. The similarity I wanted
to point out is that Document's role is to hold on to a bunch of
references to Segments and Headers and Whatnots, but not to make
changes to those things. The methods of Document cannot call the
setters of Segment, because they are private. Document can change
the contents of its ArrayList of Segment references, adding new
ones and evicting old ones, but it cannot make changes to the
Segment instances themselves.

By the way, Iterator has a remove() method. If you want to
make sure nobody except Document can change the "membership" of
the ArrayList, be sure to derive the Iterator from an unmodifiable
view of the ArrayList and not from the ArrayList itself. See
Collections.unmodifiableList().

toton

Eric said:
toton said:
Eric said:
[...]
[...]

Thats fine... yes it is similar, but implements ArrayList by
composition rather than inheritance.
By the way, Iterator has a remove() method. If you want to
make sure nobody except Document can change the "membership" of
the ArrayList, be sure to derive the Iterator from an unmodifiable
view of the ArrayList and not from the ArrayList itself. See
Collections.unmodifiableList().
Oh! I have already done that. Thanks for the suggestion.
One more question, slightly out of topic.
ArrayList can reserve memory for certain size. I expect that memory is
to reserve only the reference, not the object itself (unlike C++
containers where u can reserve for the cobect itself). How much
effective is this in long run? i.e will JIT make the object contains
side by side? or they will be scattered? (boils down to the question,
array holds the object itself or just the reference ? ) I have a
circular buffer which adds several objects from one end and removes
from other end through out the program. It is preferable if the
ArrayList holds the object itself.
thanks again...

Eric Sosman

toton wrote On 08/09/06 10:24,:
[...]
One more question, slightly out of topic.
ArrayList can reserve memory for certain size. I expect that memory is
to reserve only the reference, not the object itself (unlike C++
containers where u can reserve for the cobect itself).

Correct. Object instances in Java exist "somewhere
else," and the only things the program manipulates directly
are references and primitives.
How much
effective is this in long run? i.e will JIT make the object contains
side by side? or they will be scattered? (boils down to the question,
array holds the object itself or just the reference ? )

The instances exist "somewhere else," and the ArrayList
holds references to them. The instances might be scattered
or might be grouped together; they might even move around to
different memory locations at different times. That's the
JVM's worry, not yours: The reference still leads to the
instance, no matter where it happens to be located.
I have a
circular buffer which adds several objects from one end and removes
from other end through out the program. It is preferable if the
ArrayList holds the object itself.

As you know by now, the ArrayList holds references and
not instances. I don't see why you would prefer things to
be otherwise -- but in any event, they aren't.

toton

Eric said:
toton wrote On 08/09/06 10:24,:
[...]
[...]

Yes, its JVM's worry. I know that. My worry is that, do JVM really
worry to keep frequently accessed objects in nearby places?
The second thing what I wanted to know, for Vector or ArrayList type of
random access container, how much effective the load factor or initial
capacity, as the container doesn't hold the object itself. One need to
choose them judicially for STL containers, whent they contains the
objects itself, otherwise frequent memory copy occures. One can see a
visable performance difference there. Is that kind of fine tuning is
necessary for JCF Vector or ArrayList, (or default value of 10 works
fine irrespective of ArrayList size? ) )as it stores the reference
only, the increase in size out of capicity will cause only copy of
reference, not the object itself.The strategy is little different for the program, as you can see. The
program pushes certain objects into the circular buffer, perform some
operation on them and removes the older one. Thus lots of object
created pushed on buffer, and older one removed. So there I see two
problems,
1) No obvious hotspot, as the program doesn't run with the same object
on the loop (unlike most of the applications, or GUI's). Rather it
looks like a factory conveyor belt, where things are put in, operated
and finished.
2) Little overhead for then gc, as lots of new objects created and
processed need to be garbage collected.

Any tuning for gc can be done? any particular gc suitable for this kink
of oerations?
As you know by now, the ArrayList holds references and
not instances. I don't see why you would prefer things to
be otherwise -- but in any event, they aren't.
If the contaner class objects resides nearby in memory (may not be
adjascent unlike array with premitives), it is good for most
programming, as most of the time program iterates over the container
classes and do operation.

Eric Sosman

toton said:
Eric said:
toton wrote On 08/09/06 10:24,:
[...]
How much
effective is this in long run? i.e will JIT make the object contains
side by side? or they will be scattered? (boils down to the question,
array holds the object itself or just the reference ? )

The instances exist "somewhere else," and the ArrayList
holds references to them. The instances might be scattered
or might be grouped together; they might even move around to
different memory locations at different times. That's the
JVM's worry, not yours: The reference still leads to the
instance, no matter where it happens to be located.

Yes, its JVM's worry. I know that. My worry is that, do JVM really
worry to keep frequently accessed objects in nearby places?

Not that I know of -- but then, I've never bothered to look.
Also, there is more than one JVM, and different JVMs have different
strategies for managing memory.
The second thing what I wanted to know, for Vector or ArrayList type of
random access container, how much effective the load factor or initial
capacity, as the container doesn't hold the object itself. One need to
choose them judicially for STL containers, whent they contains the
objects itself, otherwise frequent memory copy occures. One can see a
visable performance difference there. Is that kind of fine tuning is
necessary for JCF Vector or ArrayList, (or default value of 10 works
fine irrespective of ArrayList size? ) )as it stores the reference
only, the increase in size out of capicity will cause only copy of
reference, not the object itself.

If you happen to know roughly how many objects the list will
eventually contain, you can save some time by making the list that
large to begin with rather than just letting it grow on its own.
How much time? Probably not a lot unless the list grows quite
large indeed.
The strategy is little different for the program, as you can see. The
program pushes certain objects into the circular buffer, perform some
operation on them and removes the older one. Thus lots of object
created pushed on buffer, and older one removed. So there I see two
problems,

One thing that stands out is the oddity of using an ArrayList
or Vector for a "circular buffer." An ordinary array would seem
more natural. (However, there's a bit of a language barrier here,
and it's quite possibly you use "circular buffer" to mean something
different than I do.)
1) No obvious hotspot, as the program doesn't run with the same object
on the loop (unlike most of the applications, or GUI's). Rather it
looks like a factory conveyor belt, where things are put in, operated
and finished.
2) Little overhead for then gc, as lots of new objects created and
processed need to be garbage collected.

Any tuning for gc can be done? any particular gc suitable for this kink
of oerations?

Toton, have you *measured* a performance problem? Or are
you merely imagining one?

toton

Eric said:
toton said:
Eric said:
toton wrote On 08/09/06 10:24,:

[...]
[...]

Yes. I know roughly how many objects it will contain. So array resizing
is not at all a problem (I know the resize operation is very few). But
even I don't think resize is time consuming , as it holds only the
reference, not the objects itself. And thus the array size
may be very less ( I have an approx 5000 size buffer).
so, for reference it may need 5000*ref_size memory which is much
smaller than 5000*object_size
That's why my question, as the array doesn't hold the object itself,
how important is to set the array size, or increment?
One thing that stands out is the oddity of using an ArrayList
or Vector for a "circular buffer." An ordinary array would seem
more natural. (However, there's a bit of a language barrier here,
and it's quite possibly you use "circular buffer" to mean something
different than I do.)
Circular buffer is a static buffer over which references rotate to
denote start & end.
It is very much possible to implement it with array (not difficult at
all, in my openion).
I had uses ArrayList just to get immediate benifit of Iterator etc. I
will implement it using simple array.
Toton, have you *measured* a performance problem? Or are
you merely imagining one?
No. I can't measure a performance for Java, as Java doesn't support by
value symantics for containers. However I had compared my C++
implementation with Java one. There is a difference. But I am not sure,
whether the difference is due to memory allocation or something else.
Maybe I will check in Java profiler about detail, with several run of
different size.
also I had a huge difference in C++, when I had transfered the program
from vector<Point*> to vector<Point> symantics. as in the second case,
allocator pre-allocates the memory for the objects with reserve, while
for the second case it pre-allocates only for pointers.
setting an object null, when it is no more in use anyway helps gc?
may be I will post some representative version of the program for clear
understanding.

thanks

Chris Smith

toton said:
setting an object null, when it is no more in use anyway helps gc?

I'll just respond to this. No, except in specific circumstances or
unless you've done something else wrong, setting a reference to null
doesn't help garbage collection.

(Incidentally, there is no such thing as setting an object to null.
Null is a value for a reference, and it doesn't have anything to do with
objects.)

Patricia Shanahan

Chris said:
I'll just respond to this. No, except in specific circumstances or
unless you've done something else wrong, setting a reference to null
doesn't help garbage collection.

I'm surprised, and curious about this statement. On the face of it, Java
garbage collection is prevented by an object being reachable, and
assigning null to a reference may transition an object from reachable to
unreachable.

For example, one of my Java programs was a simulation of a computer
processor-memory interconnect. The main objects were representations of
transactions and of hardware components, such as processors and memory
modules, and queues connecting components. There are relatively few
components and queues, but they exist for the whole duration of the
simulation. There are many transactions, but each should exist for only
a relatively short time.

At times, a simulated component can go idle for an extended period. In
an attempt to aid garbage collection, I made sure that as soon as a
component had finished its work on a transaction, it set its current
transaction reference to null.

Similarly, the queue implementation did some null reference assignments
to ensure that each queue only had references to transactions that were
actually on the queue, not to transactions that had been on it.

The invariant I was aiming for was that a long lived object should have
a reference to a Transaction if, and only if, it still had work to do on
the Transaction.

Was I wasting my time? It seemed to reduce memory use.

Patricia

Chris Smith

Patricia Shanahan said:
I'm surprised, and curious about this statement. On the face of it, Java
garbage collection is prevented by an object being reachable, and
assigning null to a reference may transition an object from reachable to
unreachable.

Assigning null to a reference is certainly an effective way of
preventing an object from being reachable from that reference. However,
in almost all situations, it should be unnecessary to assign null to a
reference just for the sake of garbage collection. It's generally
better to either allow a reference to go out of scope or rely on a
larger object (perhaps a Collections API container class) to manage
reachability in a more logical way.

Your simulation example may be a pseudo-exception. If each component
can only have one transaction at a time and spends a lot of time without
one, then setting that field to null to indicate that the component is
not working in a transaction is a sensible thing to do. Even so, the
real issue there is that the field being null is *right*, not that it
helps garbage collection. Even without the concern for garbage
collection, setting that field to null to indicate the lack of a
transaction would be a good thing to do.

There are other circumstances (which I only mentioned in passing in my
original response) where it's indeed a good idea to set a variable to
null merely for the sake of garbage collection. For example, the
implementation of ArrayList allocates a block of references, and keeps
the ones that are beyond the end of the current list null to avoid
accidentally retaining objects. However, these are the exception rather
than the rule.

Maybe your experience differs, but I have rarely if ever needed to
explicitly set variables to null just to please the garbage collector.
As such, I acknowledge that this can theoretically occur, but I remain
skeptical when the idea of nulling references is brought up, until
there's evidence that it's needed.

Chris Smith

Chris Smith said:
I remain
skeptical when the idea of nulling references is brought up, until
there's evidence that it's needed.

And I should read threads closer. I didn't previously realize that the
comment about nulling references came after the OP decided against using
ArrayList and decided to write a circular buffer class. So yes, the
extra array elements should be nulled when not in use.

Sorry!

toton

Chris said:
And I should read threads closer. I didn't previously realize that the
comment about nulling references came after the OP decided against using
ArrayList and decided to write a circular buffer class. So yes, the
extra array elements should be nulled when not in use.

Thus, when I remove an object from circular buffer, I need to assign it
to a null reference.Is that you mean?
Any special thing needed (special to Java) for writing a new
collections container like circular buffer, related to memory etc? or
just the standard way works?
Thanks.

IchBin

toton said:
Chris said:
And I should read threads closer. I didn't previously realize that the
comment about nulling references came after the OP decided against using
ArrayList and decided to write a circular buffer class. So yes, the
extra array elements should be nulled when not in use.

Thus, when I remove an object from circular buffer, I need to assign it
to a null reference.Is that you mean?
Any special thing needed (special to Java) for writing a new
collections container like circular buffer, related to memory etc? or
just the standard way works?
Thanks.

You need to post o a Javascript newsgroup. This is a Java newsgroup. The
are close in name but worlds apart!

Thanks in Advance...

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

toton

IchBin said:
toton said:
Thus, when I remove an object from circular buffer, I need to assign it
to a null reference.Is that you mean?
Any special thing needed (special to Java) for writing a new
collections container like circular buffer, related to memory etc? or
just the standard way works?
Thanks.

You need to post o a Javascript newsgroup. This is a Java newsgroup. The
are close in name but worlds apart!

Why? All the discussions are for Java only! There is nothing related to
JavaScript discussed here. I think you are confused. Go through the
posts.
abir

Chris Smith

toton said:
Thus, when I remove an object from circular buffer, I need to assign it
to a null reference.Is that you mean?

I don't understand your sentence. What I mean is that when an object is
removed from the circular buffer (meaning that you change an index so
that the slot of the buffer is outside the occupied range) you should
assign a value of null to that slot in the array.
Any special thing needed (special to Java) for writing a new
collections container like circular buffer, related to memory etc? or
just the standard way works?

The standard way of doing it works fine. Just clean up unused
references by assigning them a value of null. The garbage collector is
not quite smart enough to examine your algorithms and decide that you
won't use a reference just because it's not between the current values
of your indices.