How to go about developing in zope

john

Hi
I am developing a timesheet system.
It will have 3 levels of access
1)Administrator
2)Approver -- Will approve or reject the timesheet filled by employees
3)Employees -- Fill in the timesheet which will ontain info like start
time & end for task & task description.
There will be different projects with different employees & approvers
Also I need to genrate reports like timesheet for an employee for this
particular week or month.Or timesheet of a project etc..

Is zope suitable for such kind of application?
I read the zope book & now I am more confused.
What is the best way to develop such kinda application in zope?

Istvan Albert

john said:
Is zope suitable for such kind of application?
yes.

What is the best way to develop such kinda application in zope?

Start with a simple site then keep reimplementing with the new
techniques that you learn.

Istvan.

Peter Isselstijn

john:
What is the best way to develop such kinda application in zope?

I've found it helpful to forget about Zope, just design an object oriënted
solution for the problem, ignoring persistence for the time being (no
object-relational mapping), map clean URLs to objects and methods, use
plain HTML as templates, and so on. Then, when you're done, you'll have a
perfect Zope application.

john

Istvan Albert said:
Start with a simple site then keep reimplementing with the new
techniques that you learn.

Istvan.

I dont know how zope will simplify my work in developing such an application??

Thomas Guettler

Am Thu, 16 Sep 2004 08:54:16 -0700 schrieb john:
Hi
I am developing a timesheet system.
It will have 3 levels of access
1)Administrator
2)Approver -- Will approve or reject the timesheet filled by employees
3)Employees -- Fill in the timesheet which will ontain info like start
time & end for task & task description.
There will be different projects with different employees & approvers
Also I need to genrate reports like timesheet for an employee for this
particular week or month.Or timesheet of a project etc..

Is zope suitable for such kind of application?
I read the zope book & now I am more confused.

Hi,

You can use ZODB without Zope, too.

I use quixote and ZODB with some small parts from
dulcinea (method start_request). I switched to this
after using zope for more than one year.

This is much simpler to debug than Zope.

HTH,
Thomas

Josef Meile

Hi John,
I am developing a timesheet system.
It will have 3 levels of access
1)Administrator
2)Approver -- Will approve or reject the timesheet filled by employees
3)Employees -- Fill in the timesheet which will ontain info like start
time & end for task & task description.
There will be different projects with different employees & approvers
Also I need to genrate reports like timesheet for an employee for this
particular week or month.Or timesheet of a project etc..

> Is zope suitable for such kind of application?
> I read the zope book & now I am more confused.
> What is the best way to develop such kinda application in zope?
By coincidence, I was looking at the source code of a product related to
your requirements:
http://www.zope.org/Members/runyaga/ZTimesheet

This is a clone, which I haven't looked at:
http://zope.org/Members/Nielssteenkrogh/My_projects/ZTIMEPROJECT

You could look also at the source code of my JMBoring product. It may
help you developing your zope python based product:
http://zope.org/Members/jmeile/JMBoring

Some useful links, which I think are the guidelines you must read before
developing your python product:

http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZDG/current/index_html
http://www.zope.org/Members/gtk/Boring/HowTo-Boring
http://www.zope.org/Members/maxm/HowTo/minimal_01/
http://www.zope.org/Members/Zen/howto/ZPT_management

Some of them are old, but still apply to the current zope version.

I think the best way to develop such product is by using an external
database to store the data (for the zope interaction, you can use an
existent Zope Database Adapter - See the zope book for more info), doing
the interfaces with ZPT (Zope's Page Templates -> Don't use DTML), and
coding the logic on a python based product (forget about ZClasses)

Regards,
Josef

PS: Please in the future post your zope related questions to:
(e-mail address removed)

See info for subscription on:

Istvan Albert

john said:
I dont know how zope will simplify my work in developing such an application??

There is no easy answer to this. In fact it could happen that
Zope will complicate your work. The best way to evaluate a
framework is to try to implement a simple site. Do the tutorials,
fool around just for the sake of it. Don't try to accomplish
your goals right away because your first job will suck in
any new framework.

Istvan.

john

Peter Isselstijn said:
john:

I've found it helpful to forget about Zope, just design an object oriënted
solution for the problem, ignoring persistence for the time being (no
object-relational mapping), map clean URLs to objects and methods, use
plain HTML as templates, and so on. Then, when you're done, you'll have a
perfect Zope application.

Are there any tutorial on buliding a data driven(i.e database ) website with zope??

john

Josef Meile said:
I think the best way to develop such product is by using an external
database to store the data (for the zope interaction, you can use an
existent Zope Database Adapter - See the zope book for more info), doing
the interfaces with ZPT (Zope's Page Templates -> Don't use DTML), and
coding the logic on a python based product (forget about ZClasses)
But doing it this way is same as doing in php or any
other framework like cherrypy .How does zope help me?
From my understanding I think in zope we have to
develop Zclasses for objects not already available
which in this application can be timesheet etc.... Am
I right?? Also how zope helps me to implement different kind of access
level for users(admin,apprver,employee)or I have to resort to plain
old relational database for it too??

Miklós

develop Zclasses for objects not already available
which in this application can be timesheet etc.... Am
I right?? Also how zope helps me to implement different kind of access
level for users(admin,apprver,employee)or I have to resort to plain
old relational database for it too??

I think Zope is pretty nice to develop this kind of application without
using an RDBMS, a BTreeFolder can easily store a *lot* of objects, etc.
Support for access levels are just great in Zope, fine grained,
hierarchical, can be mapped out to external resources, etc.
Sorry, not to really flame you but your questions are RTFM. Read the Zope
book on zope.org
Besides, like Josef pointed out, this is not the right place to ask about
Zope, this is c.l.p.

Best,
Miklós

bruno modulix

john a écrit :
Hi
I am developing a timesheet system.
It will have 3 levels of access
1)Administrator
2)Approver -- Will approve or reject the timesheet filled by employees
3)Employees -- Fill in the timesheet which will ontain info like start
time & end for task & task description.
There will be different projects with different employees & approvers
Also I need to genrate reports like timesheet for an employee for this
particular week or month.Or timesheet of a project etc..

What you need here is :
- a good date and time lib
- a good workflow management
- users and roles management

Zope provides all three.
My best guess is that you should have a look on the last release of CPS
(Collaborative Portal Server, a zope-based CMS/Groupware), it has a
shared agenda module and probably most of what you need.
Is zope suitable for such kind of application?
Guess...

I read the zope book & now I am more confused.
What is the best way to develop such kinda application in zope?

Zope is somewhat hard to get started with... First do some pretty simple
things, just to become familiar with the beast. Then learn how to write
simple products.

My 2 cents
Bruno

bruno modulix

john a écrit :
But doing it this way is same as doing in php

Ho no...
or any
other framework like cherrypy.

Never used it, so I can't tell
How does zope help me?

How would you know if you don't try ?
From my understanding I think in zope we have to
develop Zclasses for objects not already available

Certainly not. Writing products (and eventually 'gluing' them with
scripts and the like) is much more easy (IMHO) and straightforward.
which in this application can be timesheet etc.... Am
I right??

Well... see above !-)
Also how zope helps me to implement different kind of access
level for users(admin,apprver,employee)

You'd know it if you'd RTFM.
or I have to resort to plain
old relational database for it too??

Why "too" ? You just don't need any RDBMS for this.

Bruno

Carlos Ribeiro

Hi
I am developing a timesheet system.
It will have 3 levels of access
1)Administrator
2)Approver -- Will approve or reject the timesheet filled by employees
3)Employees -- Fill in the timesheet which will ontain info like start
time & end for task & task description.
There will be different projects with different employees & approvers
Also I need to genrate reports like timesheet for an employee for this
particular week or month.Or timesheet of a project etc..

Is zope suitable for such kind of application?
I read the zope book & now I am more confused.
What is the best way to develop such kinda application in zope?

I'm a little bit late on this thread. Zope is a hell of a product --
with all possible meanings of "hell" you can imagine :) I found the
Zope documentation to be a bit intimidating, but it's not a fault of
the developers -- it's because it's really hard to explain Zope's
unique framework to new users. It's different from conventional
programming. To use Zope well, one has to dive deeply and use it all.
It's not a tool that you can just take a look and use a piece or
other. It's a full fledged framework that can solve lots of problems,
but it comes with a price.

Said that, you'd be well served using Zope. But perhaps you want to
use a simple framework; or instead, you may want to work at a lower
level and have more control about how do your application behave. If
that's your situation, you have a lot of good frameworks to choose
from. I'd name three that I've evaluated: WebWare, Quixote, and
CherryPy. Of all three, CherryPy became my favorite, and the upcoming
version 2 is even better. Take a look at their website, the
documentation and the examples is really good:

http://www.cherrypy.org

For me the biggest selling point of CherryPy is that it includes a
good HTTP server implementation. It's the perfect match for testing,
or for easy deployment on Intranets, because the server runs almost
anywhere with no need for fine tuning -- unless you're talking about
Slashdot-class sites, of course. Take a look at it, and check the news
on the CherryPy2 -- the design is simply excellent.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos