How to handle form double submitting.

Nacho Nachev

This may sound like a silly question, but what is the appropriate way to
handle form double submitting in ASP.NET. Page expiration, etc? I am
looking for a way to handle this in some cetral point of the application
without affecting the web page implementation.

Thanks,
Nacho

Brock Allen

There's actually a new gadget from thinkgeek.com that installs as an ActiveX
component into your webpage that once they click the submit button it reaches
out and dismembers the user's primary index finger. It works like a charm ;)

Seriously, though, the best two approaches I've seen are 1) Education. Teach
people that this is how the infrastructure works. Let them know they'll be
charged twice on their creditcard or they'll do the transfer of funds twice.
Failing that 2) Use javascript to disable or hide the submit button upon
clicking it.

Nacho Nachev

Maybe thinkgeek.com need to implement this for Mozilla too ;)

Back to the problem, I thought about such approaches, but it's very
important to resolve the problem back on the server-side. I will not sleep
well if I rely on the browser for this and also it does not secures the
app from replay attacks.

/Nacho

MattC

Does IE not have an option to detect accidental double clicks or is that
Windows Explorer, I forget :S

MattC

Brock Allen

Then the only other thing is to track the last time the user posted to the
page. You could even make it more elaborate and track it based upon the values
in the form. In any event, it will be something you build yourself unless
you can find something that already does this.