    This means he wants to have 46 letters show up in a table cell. How do I
    define that for a table cell?

    I am guessing 46 px for width would not do, right?

    Ather Shiraz, Jun 19, 2008

  2. Ather Shiraz

    Phlip Guest

    Ather Shiraz wrote:
    > So I have a background primarily in server side + basic front end. I
    > dont know if this is very relevant to rails or if I should ask some
    > design forum (if you know any please share!) My client however has an
    > unusual request. He wants to have 46 characters show up in a table cell.
    > This means he wants to have 46 letters show up in a table cell. How do I
    > define that for a table cell?

    How quaint! Nothing personal, but this is a Ruby language group, and Rails (a
    platform) has its own forum. This group always catches Rails questions, but this
    is the first CSS question I have seen...

    Set the field style to width: 40em, overflow: none, and white-space: nowrap. I
    don't know exactly how to write those exactly, but a Google search of [css style
    truncate nowrap] seems to work.

    Phlip, Jun 19, 2008

  3. <em style='width: 46em'>That's not really a Ruby question, now, is it?</em>

    :)

    2008/6/19 Ather Shiraz <>:
    > So I have a background primarily in server side + basic front end. I
    > dont know if this is very relevant to rails or if I should ask some
    > design forum (if you know any please share!) My client however has an
    > unusual request. He wants to have 46 characters show up in a table cell.
    > This means he wants to have 46 letters show up in a table cell. How do I
    > define that for a table cell?
    >
    > I am guessing 46 px for width would not do, right?

    JJ

    Bryan JJ Buckley, Jun 19, 2008
  4. Ather Shiraz

    Ather Shiraz Guest

    Yes please accept my apologies again but I mentioned it because there
    are more web designers in the ror community than anywhere else (in the
    java community for example).

    Ather Shiraz, Jun 19, 2008
  5. Ather Shiraz

    Ather Shiraz Guest

    Josef 'Jupp' Schugt wrote:
    > * Ather Shiraz, 2008-06-20, 03:09:
    >
    >> So I have a background primarily in server side + basic front end. I
    >> dont know if this is very relevant to rails or if I should ask some
    >> design forum (if you know any please share!) My client however has an
    >> unusual request. He wants to have 46 characters show up in a table
    >> cell. This means he wants to have 46 letters show up in a table cell.
    >> How do I define that for a table cell?
    >>
    >> I am guessing 46 px for width would not do, right?

    > fixed-width font and 46em should do ^^
    >
    > Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

    I tried 46em as width tag of the table td tag but sometimes its ok and
    sometimes its really narrow. I had to end up usign 350px ; where could I
    get an understanding of why this is happening?

    Ather Shiraz, Jun 19, 2008
  6. Bryan JJ Buckley, Jun 19, 2008