How to having text "popup" without popups?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Frank Stallone, Apr 5, 2005.

  1. What I would like to do is have something where you click a link to
    learn more about that item. The text would then appear right below the
    link.

    For example (before clicking link):

    "Learn a bout Robot Diapers"

    Then the user clicks that link and what would appear on the page would
    be this:

    "Learn a bout Robot Diapers"
    Robotic diapers are a new innovation, blah blah blah blah, etc.

    How would I go about doing that?

    Preferably without XML as, I must admit, I haven't looked into XML too
    much and I've had some compatiblity issues with it and mozilla and I
    want to be as compatible as possible with browsers.

    Another way I thought of doing it is having the link but when you
    click it a window pops up with the information. BUt it would be one of
    those windows on the page, thus no creating a seperate window if you
    know what I mean. Basically like some website ads that appear in the
    middle of the screen with their own little X to close 'em, etc, etc.

    Which would be better and most compatible with the widest range of
    browsers?

    Thank you in advance.
    Frank Stallone, Apr 5, 2005

  2. Frank Stallone

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Apr 5, 2005

  3. Toby Inkster wrote :
    > Frank Stallone wrote:
    >
    >> What I would like to do is have something where you click a link to
    >> learn more about that item. The text would then appear right below the
    >> link.

    > Something like this?
    > http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/pseudo-pop

    Interesting thing is....
    If I disable styles in firefox, I get the expected content (that is,
    the "help" is displayed on page openning.), however, when I click the
    *X* , it hides it again. I would expect it to ignore the style, since
    I turned off styles in FF.
    hmm.

    --
    talk to the teacher now and then about something other than the subject
    Disco Octopus, Apr 6, 2005
  4. Yes, that would be perfect. Thank you.

    Frank Stallone, Apr 6, 2005
  5. Frank Stallone

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Disco Octopus wrote:

    > If I disable styles in firefox, I get the expected content (that is,
    > the "help" is displayed on page openning.), however, when I click the
    > *X* , it hides it again. I would expect it to ignore the style, since
    > I turned off styles in FF.

    Pah! Bug in Firefox. Upgrade to Opera. :)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Apr 6, 2005
  6. Toby Inkster wrote:
    > Disco Octopus wrote:
    >>If I disable styles in firefox, I get the expected content (that is,
    >>the "help" is displayed on page openning.), however, when I click the
    >>*X* , it hides it again. I would expect it to ignore the style, since
    >>I turned off styles in FF.

    > Pah! Bug in Firefox. Upgrade to Opera. :)

    You misspelled downgrade

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Apr 6, 2005