  1. brian

    brian Guest

    how to hide href links (url) from user that can be seen in status bar ?
    brian, Oct 21, 2003

  2. <a href="#" onMouseover="windows.status="";"> May do what you want, but if
    they care what the url is then they can right click and view properties
    anyway to get it (or click the link)

    Stu

    Stuart Palmer, Oct 21, 2003

  3. brian

    kaeli Guest

    In article <>, brian_dell3
    @yahoo.com enlightened us with...
    > how to hide href links (url) from user that can be seen in status bar ?

    You enjoy annoying your users? Some people REALLY hate that.

    Some of us have browsers that don't let you mess with our status bar.

    Any code you get will be nullified by Netscape or Mozilla with the
    settings set to not let you modify our status bar.

    ~kaeli~
    Jesus saves, Allah protects, and Cthulhu
    thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace
    kaeli, Oct 21, 2003
  4. Hi,

    Stuart Palmer wrote:

    Should be

    <A HREF="..."
    ONMOUSEOVER="top.status='';return true;">
    Link text</A>

    Your code fails because you have a quote conflict, and because you don't
    return true.

    Laurent

    > they care what the url is then they can right click and view properties
    > anyway to get it (or click the link)
    >
    > Stu

    Additionally, it fails if JavaScript is off, or if they look at the
    source. It is also often considered bad practice to change the status
    bar text for links, though I personally don't think it's always a bad
    thing depending on how it's done.

    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft
    Webdesign, Java, JavaScript: http://www.galasoft-LB.ch
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft, Oct 21, 2003
  5. Yeah, you are totally right, sorry about that. I'm at work and not really
    thinking........brain dead.

    Stu

    "Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft" <galasoft-LB@bluewin_NO_SPAM.ch> wrote in
    message news:bn39b1$603$-plus.net...