    www.actioncarting.com, where no page seem to have an extension
    like .aspx, .html, .shtml, .asp, .jsp, .php. Is this trick so-called
    URL rewriting? I would like to learn this little trick. Thank you.

    gnewsgroup, May 10, 2008

  2. gnewsgroup

    gnewsgroup Guest

    Mark Rae [MVP] wrote:
    > "gnewsgroup" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > I see you guys talking about URL rewriting, and then I came across
    > > www.actioncarting.com, where no page seem to have an extension
    > > like .aspx, .html, .shtml, .asp, .jsp, .php. Is this trick so-called
    > > URL rewriting?

    > No.
    >
    > > I would like to learn this little trick.

    > No trick. All they're doing is specifying a folder rather than a file. This
    > way, ASP.NET / IIS will search for a "default" document and use one if it
    > exists:
    > http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...T4GZEZ_en-GBGB252GB252&q=IIS default document
    >

    > --
    > Mark Rae
    > ASP.NET MVP
    > http://www.markrae.net

    Thank you. I also thought that they are simply letting the web server
    retrieve the pre-defined default file. But, then only one file per
    folder will be retrieved. Isn't that too troublesome?

    BTW, how do u tell it is not URL rewriting? Thanks again.

    gnewsgroup, May 10, 2008

  3. Hello gnewsgroup,

    if you look on their site stucture, u will see that they have the different
    url for each page, which could means that all pages are just index.aspx or
    default.aspx . Actually I checked into Fiddler and it's php pages.

    so, if u type /index.php in the end of url in will open you the same page,
    but not the index2.php

    ---
    WBR,

    g> Mark Rae [MVP] wrote:
    g>
    >> "gnewsgroup" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I see you guys talking about URL rewriting, and then I came across
    >>> www.actioncarting.com, where no page seem to have an extension
    >>> like .aspx, .html, .shtml, .asp, .jsp, .php. Is this trick
    >>> so-called
    >>> URL rewriting?

    >> No.
    >>
    >>> I would like to learn this little trick.
    >>>

    >> No trick. All they're doing is specifying a folder rather than a
    >> file. This
    >>
    >> way, ASP.NET / IIS will search for a "default" document and use one
    >> if it
    >>
    >> exists:
    >>
    >> http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&r
    >> lz=1T4GZEZ_en-GBGB252GB252&q=IIS+default+document
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark Rae
    >> ASP.NET MVP
    >> http://www.markrae.net

    g> Thank you. I also thought that they are simply letting the web server
    g> retrieve the pre-defined default file. But, then only one file per
    g> folder will be retrieved. Isn't that too troublesome?
    g>
    g> BTW, how do u tell it is not URL rewriting? Thanks again.
    g>

    Michael Nemtsev [MVP], May 10, 2008
  4. gnewsgroup

    gnewsgroup Guest

    Mark Rae [MVP] wrote:
    > "gnewsgroup" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Thank you. I also thought that they are simply letting the web server
    > > retrieve the pre-defined default file. But, then only one file per
    > > folder will be retrieved. Isn't that too troublesome?

    > Depends on your requirements, I suppose...
    >
    > > BTW, how do u tell it is not URL rewriting?

    > Experience.
    >

    > --
    > Mark Rae
    > ASP.NET MVP
    > http://www.markrae.net

    OK. thank you. In any case, I can get the same effect thru url
    rewriting, right?

    gnewsgroup, May 10, 2008
  5. gnewsgroup

    gnewsgroup Guest

    Michael Nemtsev [ MVP ] wrote:
    > Hello gnewsgroup,
    >
    > if you look on their site stucture, u will see that they have the different
    > url for each page, which could means that all pages are just index.aspx or
    > default.aspx . Actually I checked into Fiddler and it's php pages.
    >
    > so, if u type /index.php in the end of url in will open you the same page,
    > but not the index2.php
    >
    > ---
    > WBR,
    > Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour

    > g> Mark Rae [MVP] wrote:
    > g>
    > >> "gnewsgroup" <> wrote in message

    > >> No.

    > >> No trick. All they're doing is specifying a folder rather than a
    > >> file. This
    > >>
    > >> way, ASP.NET / IIS will search for a "default" document and use one
    > >> if it
    > >>
    > >> exists:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&r

    lz=1T4GZEZ_en-GBGB252GB252&q=IIS+default+document

    > >> --
    > >> Mark Rae
    > >> ASP.NET MVP
    > >> http://www.markrae.net

    > g> Thank you. I also thought that they are simply letting the web server
    > g> retrieve the pre-defined default file. But, then only one file per
    > g> folder will be retrieved. Isn't that too troublesome?
    > g>
    > g> BTW, how do u tell it is not URL rewriting? Thanks again.
    > g>

    That's what I thought, but dismissed it bec'z I think it is too
    troublesome to have to create one folder per file.

    gnewsgroup, May 10, 2008
  6. Hello gnewsgroup,

    Why not?! they dont have a big structure.
    it's about 10-15 pages

    ---
    WBR,

    g> That's what I thought, but dismissed it bec'z I think it is too
    g> troublesome to have to create one folder per file.
    g>

    Michael Nemtsev [MVP], May 10, 2008