How to imitate a line 1 pixel thick?

dorayme

Els said:
The problem there is, that I can't see any of the posts I read yesterday
anymore. Like, I can't see any post by any Ben, nor your reply to it :-(

Since I see you're using the same newsreader as I am, how does that work
for you? Is there a setting I missed that lets you see posts you read
yesterday too?

You can try Special/Open All References if you have a current
post open. This sometimes gets all the thread, sometimes just
some of the thread. You can always "Command -" (the
hyphen/underscore key) after clicking on the group in the
myGroups window, this brings up search box for subjects, authors
etc. One other trick, you can "Option Return" and choose a number
of threads, it will then get you the last that number.

And, of course, there is always the ever reliable Google. Imagine
the world without Google. At least good for getting the name of
threads and authors so you can use the above methods I mention in
the MT newsreader to reply or whatever...

I should also add that I may have overly hastily assumed that you
would be reading comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets. Ben
might have posted there, I have now forgotten. Forgetting is
something that MT-NewsWatcher is very good at doing. <g>

You moved to Macs, Els?

Els

None of the methods you're describing were familiar to me, so I tried
them one by one:
You can try Special/Open All References if you have a current
post open. This sometimes gets all the thread, sometimes just
some of the thread.

That literally opens all the posts that were referenced in the current
post - as in all their own separate window on top of each other, without
seeing the actual thread :S
You can always "Command -" (the
hyphen/underscore key) after clicking on the group in the
myGroups window, this brings up search box for subjects, authors
etc.

That one is useful, thanks - as long as the subject didn't change of
course - at least it does show me the thread in a thread window, not a
bunch of open message windows :)
One other trick, you can "Option Return" and choose a number
of threads, it will then get you the last that number.

No 'threads' here, just posts. Works too though, although it doesn't
show which I already had read, it just fetches the posts again, without
any memory of whether I read them before. Same goes for the search box
method btw.

Yup - except I wanted to use a newsreader *instead* of Google said:
I should also add that I may have overly hastily assumed that you
would be reading comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets. Ben
might have posted there, I have now forgotten.

I think so - I'm reading alt.www.webmaster only atm, so if he forgot to
set a follow-up and just snipped the other groups, that explains why
there's no Ben in this thread I'm seeing :)
Forgetting is
something that MT-NewsWatcher is very good at doing. <g>

So I notice! I so wish there was a 40Tude Dialog for Mac :\
You moved to Macs, Els?

No, still use XP for the bulk (like work), just added a Mac so I can
check sites on Mac browsers, and made it a Book so I can do stuff away
from my desk. Stuff like reading Usenet ... ;-)

dorayme

Els said:
None of the methods you're describing were familiar to me, so I tried
them one by one:

That literally opens all the posts

True, but it is quick and sometimes gets you to see something
like the OP which is often lost sight of.
No 'threads' here, just posts. Works too though, although it doesn't
show which I already had read, it just fetches the posts again, without
any memory of whether I read them before. Same goes for the search box
method btw.

When I do either of these I get threads. Take the 'Command -'
(search), enter a name of a subject or bits of it... a window
will come up with a number to the left (the number of posts that
have been found with that name) and the name of the newsgroup.
Click on that number/ng text and another window comes up with a
listing of the threads. There might be a few with the words you
entered (eg. if you enter just "css" or you will likely get
lots). In this second window is the thread listings with a little
toggle arrow next to each enabling you to see the individual post
authors etc, you can then click on individual items to bring out
the actual post.

No, MT remembers not what you have read when you bring them all
up again.

There is also time rules that I am hazy on: it fetches only posts
from a certain date... I should read the manual again sometime.

The author of this free software put a tremendous effort in, he
has not the time or resources to keep developing it (though he
made a whole bunch of improvements about a year or two back).
I think so - I'm reading alt.www.webmaster only atm, so if he forgot to
set a follow-up and just snipped the other groups, that explains why
there's no Ben in this thread I'm seeing :)

Did not you and ... who was it? Mark? JL? once recommend a group
for me? I may have gone and got lost and plumped for
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets? I better take a look
at alt.www.webmaster. Will you warn them I am coming or will I
just burst in there unannounced? I like to move into a new group
and get as many people offside as possible. This tests their
mettle and I find out who is worth talking to seriously and who I
can mercilessly have fun with. I also like to visit new
killfiles. Each group has a style of killfile different to each
other group as well as individual differences within the groups.
It is cruel, I know. But it is in the Martian manual I was given
when I came to earth.