how to implement class constants?

ruud

hi list,

what construct do I have to use in Ruby to create class constants (so
no instance necessary to use it)?

thanks, Ruud

7

7stud --

ruud said:
hi list,

what construct do I have to use in Ruby to create class constants (so
no instance necessary to use it)?

thanks, Ruud

This seems to work:

class Dog
Color = 'brown'

def Dog.Color
Color
end

end

puts Dog.Color

ThoML

This seems to work:

Or maybe:

class Dog
Color = 'brown'
end

puts Dog::Color

Dog::Attrib = 'cute'

puts Dog::Attrib

ruud

Thank you both for you answer. I like the Class::var solution best;
the other one includes more typing.

I am fairly new to Ruby so all the time I am occupied asking myself
easy-to-answer questions. This really helps.

Another easy to answer question is a bit related:
Most of the time I find a class.var notation of a class::var notation.
In documentation I find class#method notation. How are these three
related to each other?

thanks, Ruud

Sebastian Hungerecker

ruud said:
Most of the time I find a class.var notation of a class::var notation.

That's not entirely accurate. There is no class.var. There's object.method
(where object can be a class and the method can have the same name as a
variable, but it still has to be a method) and there's namespace::Constant
where namespace can be a class or a module and Constant has to be a constant
(it can't be any other sort of variable).
The :: is for accessing constants in a namespace and the . is for calling
methods on an object.
It is not possible to access non-constant variables from outside the class
without using methods designed for that purpose.

In documentation I find class#method notation. How are these three
related to each other?

class#method describes an instance method (as opposed to class.method which
would describe a class method). If you see something like String#length, that
means that you could e.g. write "hello".length, but not String.length. If you
see String.new, you have to actually type String.new and not something
like "hello".new.

HTH,
Sebastian

ruud grosmann

Sebastian,
it couldn't have been clearer. Thank you for your extensive reply!

Ruud