    idea on how to implement load balance?

    Thanks!
    , Jun 6, 2005

  2. Lucy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Suppose I want to develop a large-scale application to which tens of
    > thousands of clients connect simultaneously. Could you give me some
    > idea on how to implement load balance?
    >
    > Thanks!

    You mean something similar to what amazon.com does?
    Lucy, Jun 6, 2005

  3. Bjorn Borud Guest

    []
    | Suppose I want to develop a large-scale application to which tens of
    | thousands of clients connect simultaneously. Could you give me some
    | idea on how to implement load balance?

    get more machines.

    | Thanks!

    you're welcome.

    -Bjørn
    Bjorn Borud, Jun 6, 2005
  4. Lucy Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Suppose I want to develop a large-scale application to which tens of
    > thousands of clients connect simultaneously. Could you give me some
    > idea on how to implement load balance?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I think the basic idea is to have some hardware switching device(s) that
    route incoming
    calls (or whatever you call them) to one of a large set of cpus that handle
    the initial request.
    It would be nice if the switching gear could obtain the load on each of
    these front end
    cpus, but it could just round robin to them. A front end box could handle
    the request
    itself or pass it off to a middle tier box for special requests.
    Lucy, Jun 7, 2005

    Suppose there will be 100,000 or more socket connections. Apparently
    it's not a good practice for one process handles these requests by
    creating those corresponding service threads. Maybe it's not allowed by
    operating system. So I'd like to use 10 or more machines, and each
    machine has 1 to 10 processes. The point is how to design a front end
    box as Lucy said?
    , Jun 7, 2005
  6. Lucy Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Suppose there will be 100,000 or more socket connections. Apparently
    > it's not a good practice for one process handles these requests by
    > creating those corresponding service threads. Maybe it's not allowed by
    > operating system. So I'd like to use 10 or more machines, and each
    > machine has 1 to 10 processes. The point is how to design a front end
    > box as Lucy said?

    Can't you just buy it?
    Lucy, Jun 8, 2005
  7. wrote:
    > Suppose there will be 100,000 or more socket connections.

    TCP? You have some serious homework ahead of you: You might want to go
    back and learn the basics of this IP thing.

    You only have 2^16 ports for TCP connections per IPv4 interface. So your
    100000+ (assumed TCP) connections are well beyond what you can handle on
    one interface.

    > So I'd like to use 10 or more machines, and each
    > machine has 1 to 10 processes. The point is how to design a front end
    > box as Lucy said?

    Buy a load balancer. No, wait, hire some professional who designs the
    system (hardware and software) for you. This is not something which can
    be made to work by a few hours of toying with Java code.

    /Thomas

    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:
    Thomas Weidenfeller, Jun 8, 2005