how to implementation latent semantic indexing in python..

7

78ncp

hi...
how to implementation algorithm latent semantic indexing in python
programming...??

thank's for daniel who answered my question before..

Alex Martelli

78ncp said:
hi...
how to implementation algorithm latent semantic indexing in python
programming...??

You may get more responses (as in, >0!-) if you give some URL about what
this algorithm is supposed to do.

Alex

Alex Martelli

Paul Rubin said:

For anything related to Python and natural language processing, one
probably wants to look first for NLTK and extensions thereof; I haven't
checked, but
<http://users.tkk.fi/~jkmatila/software/nltk_jkm/apidoc/public/trees.htm
l> claims to include inter alia a LSI implementation as an extension of
NLTK. (We had a presentation on NLTK at Baypiggies last week, though
they didn't go into details and extensions).

Alex

malkarouri

hi...
how to implementation algorithm latent semantic indexing in python
programming...??

thank's for daniel who answered my question before..

IIRC, there was some explanation of Latent Semantic Analysis (with
Python code) in an IEEE ReadyNotes document called "Introduction to
Python for Artificial Intelligence". It wasn't free I am afraid.

Of course you are aware that LSA is patented..

Muhammad

Tim Churches

malkarouri said:
Of course you are aware that LSA is patented..

There is a US patent on it, sealed in 1989, but is it patented in any
other countries? There is no such thing as a "global patent" - patents
only cover the country which issues them. There is a global patent
application process (the Patent Co-operation Treaty), but that just
establishes a priority date for the invention in each country, but the
inventor still needs to file patent applications and have them approved
(sealed) is each and every country. Did Bellcore do that back in the 1980s?

Tim C

Alex Martelli

Tim Churches said:
There is a US patent on it, sealed in 1989, but is it patented in any
other countries? There is no such thing as a "global patent" - patents
only cover the country which issues them. There is a global patent
application process (the Patent Co-operation Treaty), but that just
establishes a priority date for the invention in each country, but the
inventor still needs to file patent applications and have them approved
(sealed) is each and every country. Did Bellcore do that back in the 1980s?

Aren't patents supposed to last 17 years, anyway? A patent granted in
1989 should have expired in 2006, I believe (though IANAL, so...).

Alex

Tim Churches

Alex said:
Aren't patents supposed to last 17 years, anyway? A patent granted in
1989 should have expired in 2006, I believe (though IANAL, so...).

I thought that in the US utility patents (as opposed to plant and
circuit design patents) lasted for 20 years from the filing date, which
was 15th Sept 1988 for the patent in question
(http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT4839853 ). But IANAL either.

Tim C

Steven Bethard

78ncp said:
how to implementation algorithm latent semantic indexing in python
programming...??
IIRC, there was some explanation of Latent Semantic Analysis (with
Python code) in an IEEE ReadyNotes document called "Introduction to
Python for Artificial Intelligence". It wasn't free I am afraid.

Of course you are aware that LSA is patented..

So don't do LSA. Do a singular value decomposition of a term by document
matrix. ;-) Or better yet, try something else, like Independent
Component Analysis (ICA) which many people find to work better.

I'm always hoping to see a paper that shows that LSA works better than a
simple cosine measure, but somehow the vast majority of LSA papers never
do that basic comparison... ;-)

STeVe