how to implementation latent semantic indexing in python..

Discussion in 'Python' started by 78ncp, Jul 13, 2007.

  1. 78ncp

    78ncp Guest

    78ncp, Jul 13, 2007

  2. 78ncp <> wrote:

    > hi...
    > how to implementation algorithm latent semantic indexing in python
    > programming...??

    You may get more responses (as in, >0!-) if you give some URL about what
    this algorithm is supposed to do.

    Alex

    Alex Martelli, Jul 16, 2007

  3. 78ncp

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Paul Rubin, Jul 16, 2007
  4. Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:

    > (Alex Martelli) writes:
    > > You may get more responses (as in, >0!-) if you give some URL about what
    > > this algorithm is supposed to do.

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latent_semantic_analysis
    >
    > Very cool stuff.

    For anything related to Python and natural language processing, one
    probably wants to look first for NLTK and extensions thereof; I haven't
    checked, but
    <http://users.tkk.fi/~jkmatila/software/nltk_jkm/apidoc/public/trees.htm
    l> claims to include inter alia a LSI implementation as an extension of
    NLTK. (We had a presentation on NLTK at Baypiggies last week, though
    they didn't go into details and extensions).

    Alex

    Alex Martelli, Jul 16, 2007
  5. 78ncp

    malkarouri Guest

    On 13 Jul, 17:18, 78ncp <> wrote:
    > hi...
    > how to implementation algorithm latent semantic indexing in python
    > programming...??
    >
    > thank's for daniel who answered my question before..

    IIRC, there was some explanation of Latent Semantic Analysis (with
    Python code) in an IEEE ReadyNotes document called "Introduction to
    Python for Artificial Intelligence". It wasn't free I am afraid.

    Of course you are aware that LSA is patented..

    Muhammad

    malkarouri, Jul 19, 2007
  6. 78ncp

    Tim Churches Guest

    malkarouri wrote:
    > On 13 Jul, 17:18, 78ncp <> wrote:
    >> hi...
    >> how to implementation algorithm latent semantic indexing in python
    >> programming...??

    > Of course you are aware that LSA is patented..

    There is a US patent on it, sealed in 1989, but is it patented in any
    other countries? There is no such thing as a "global patent" - patents
    only cover the country which issues them. There is a global patent
    application process (the Patent Co-operation Treaty), but that just
    establishes a priority date for the invention in each country, but the
    inventor still needs to file patent applications and have them approved
    (sealed) is each and every country. Did Bellcore do that back in the 1980s?

    Tim C

    Tim Churches, Jul 19, 2007
  7. Tim Churches <> wrote:

    > malkarouri wrote:
    > > On 13 Jul, 17:18, 78ncp <> wrote:
    > >> hi...
    > >> how to implementation algorithm latent semantic indexing in python
    > >> programming...??

    > > Of course you are aware that LSA is patented..

    > There is a US patent on it, sealed in 1989, but is it patented in any
    > other countries? There is no such thing as a "global patent" - patents
    > only cover the country which issues them. There is a global patent
    > application process (the Patent Co-operation Treaty), but that just
    > establishes a priority date for the invention in each country, but the
    > inventor still needs to file patent applications and have them approved
    > (sealed) is each and every country. Did Bellcore do that back in the 1980s?

    Aren't patents supposed to last 17 years, anyway? A patent granted in
    1989 should have expired in 2006, I believe (though IANAL, so...).

    Alex

    Alex Martelli, Jul 19, 2007
  8. 78ncp

    Tim Churches Guest

    Alex Martelli wrote:
    > Tim Churches <> wrote:
    >
    >> malkarouri wrote:
    >>> Of course you are aware that LSA is patented..

    >> There is a US patent on it, sealed in 1989, but is it patented in any
    >> other countries? There is no such thing as a "global patent" - patents
    >> only cover the country which issues them. There is a global patent
    >> application process (the Patent Co-operation Treaty), but that just
    >> establishes a priority date for the invention in each country, but the
    >> inventor still needs to file patent applications and have them approved
    >> (sealed) is each and every country. Did Bellcore do that back in the 1980s?

    > Aren't patents supposed to last 17 years, anyway? A patent granted in
    > 1989 should have expired in 2006, I believe (though IANAL, so...).

    I thought that in the US utility patents (as opposed to plant and
    circuit design patents) lasted for 20 years from the filing date, which
    was 15th Sept 1988 for the patent in question
    (http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT4839853 ). But IANAL either.

    Tim C

    Tim Churches, Jul 19, 2007

    malkarouri wrote:
    > IIRC, there was some explanation of Latent Semantic Analysis (with
    > Python code) in an IEEE ReadyNotes document called "Introduction to
    > Python for Artificial Intelligence". It wasn't free I am afraid.
    >
    > Of course you are aware that LSA is patented..

    So don't do LSA. Do a singular value decomposition of a term by document
    matrix. ;-) Or better yet, try something else, like Independent
    Component Analysis (ICA) which many people find to work better.

    I'm always hoping to see a paper that shows that LSA works better than a
    simple cosine measure, but somehow the vast majority of LSA papers never
    do that basic comparison... ;-)

    STeVe

    Steven Bethard, Jul 19, 2007