how to import an extenal package into java programs

k.p.sarma

Hi

I am new to Java. I have to calculate'Eigen vectors' and want to use
'Jama' package. the source code and 'jar' files of Jama are available.

I coded a small java program to accept input values and pass it to the
package.
It is giving ' unresolved ..' errors.

1. To which directory should I copy the external package ?

2. Do I need to modify /create classpath ? I am using 'eclipse' for
editing, compilation and execution on WinXP.

3. Please give some sample code involving external package.

Thanks and regards
Sarma

hilz

k.p.sarma said:
Hi

I am new to Java. I have to calculate'Eigen vectors' and want to use
'Jama' package. the source code and 'jar' files of Jama are available.

I coded a small java program to accept input values and pass it to the
package.
It is giving ' unresolved ..' errors.

1. To which directory should I copy the external package ?

2. Do I need to modify /create classpath ? I am using 'eclipse' for
editing, compilation and execution on WinXP.

3. Please give some sample code involving external package.

Thanks and regards
Sarma

You need to add the 'jar' files to the classpath.
I have not used Eclipse, but i hear it has great documentation! take a look!

P.S. comp.lang.java.help is more appropriate for beginner questions, and if
you are going to be doing a lot of stuff in Eclipse, they have forums that
are specific to Eclipse. I just thought I would say that in the nicest way
possible before the dragons in this newsgroup grill you.