How to Import Certificate file into windows certificate store under IWAM account

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Helena Cai, Aug 29, 2004.

  1. Helena Cai

    Helena Cai Guest

    Hi,

    Due to the nature of our system, we need to dynamically import certificate
    files into windows certificates store and access the certificate store from
    ASP pages, these ASP pages call a VB dll component, which uses the CAPICOM
    component to manipulate windows certficate store.

    Because ASP is running under IWAM account, we got "Access is denied" error
    when trying to import the certificate files. We registered the VB
    components under COM+ to get around this security problem. However,
    recently we are experiencing all sorts of problems with COM+ ( eg.
    DLLHost.exe hang with 100% CPU after heavy traffic, ActiveX component can
    not be created out of sudden), we decided to move this VB component out of
    COM+, which means we are facing the same old "Access is denied" problem
    again.

    I did some search in the newsgroups, somebody suggested to log on under IWAM
    account to enable ASP import certificates, however, because our machine is
    the server, this is not a prefered option.

    Also, there is a tool provided by microsoft called "winhttpcertcfg.exe",
    which can import certficates into the certifcate store and allow IWAM
    account to access them. At this stage, I am thinking to use shell command
    to call this exe from VB program, however, I am not quite comfortable with
    solution...

    Can anybody give me some sugguestion or let me know if I am on the right
    track?

    Thanks in advance.
    helena

    Helena Cai, Aug 29, 2004