    I have one sereous problem. i have designed filter in matlab,those generated filter coefficients i want to export to xilinx as a input to my VHDL filter. How to make the file which will contains my filter coefficientas?what will be format of the file and how to import this file into VHDL as input?I guess this is concern with file handelings. In my project there is close colaboration between matlab and vhdl.
    Please let me know how to do this??
    Thanks in advance
    mailmekaran, Sep 4, 2006

  2. mailmekaran

    Adrian Jongenelen

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2006
    Messages:
    5
    Location:
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Are these coefficients going to be used as inputs for a testbench, or used in a synthesized design, eg, stored in ROM or RAM?

    I've got a project that uses MATLAB and VHDL a great deal, and I don't know if it is the best method of passing info between the two but I have a way that works.

    For testbenches, everything is encoded as hex, but stored as text, eg, the number 123 would be the string "0000007B" (For 32 bit words). The VHDL testbench uses the std.textio package to read each line, and I've written procedures to convert from string to std_logic_vectors.

    For RAM/ROM you can write out a .coe file and use the Xilinx Core Generator to generate RAM/ROM with corresponding initial values. I've found it generates a .mif file (another text file) which I believe is the file read by the simulator/synthesizer. Instead of re creating the RAM/ROM everytime with a new .coe file, perhaps you could alter the .mif directly.
    Adrian Jongenelen, Sep 27, 2006

  3. mailmekaran

    DualCore

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2006
    Messages:
    4
    What about the Modelsim link that Matlab 2006B has , can you like just connect a 32bit bus into a VHDL module and see things working in realtime ?
    has anyone tried that ?
    DualCore, Sep 27, 2006
  4. mailmekaran

    nanu

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    how to import data from matlab to vhdl design

    can u send the procedures to import data frm matlab to vhdl plzz...i am actually workin on a project called watermarking using vhdl ,u cud even send codes for ths if u cud possibly....i really need them
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
    nanu, Jul 11, 2009