How to 'import' the Edit option for an image within IE7?

DL

As we know, when an image file (via its extension) has been associated
with a graphics program Right click on it would bring up a bunch of
options including Edit with (File Explorerer). Now, the question is,
how could one simulate this feature within IE7? Is it even possible?
Now, you may say, well, the image rendered via a web browser is stored
on the server side, yes, but here the case is it's local web server.

Thanks.

David Mark

As we know, when an image file (via its extension) has been associated
with a graphics program Right click on it would bring up a bunch of
options including Edit with (File Explorerer).  Now, the question is,
how could one simulate this feature within IE7?  Is it even possible?

Yes, it is possible with IE > 2 (IIRC) and will involve WSH to launch
the associated app with the edit command and another ActiveX object to
download and store the image locally (can't remember its name.)

Of course, you could just associate the editor (as opposed to the
stock image viewer) for the default command and serve the images as
attachments when fetched with a query of some sort (would pop up the
Open/Save As dialog.)
Now, you may say, well, the image rendered via a web browser is stored
on the server side, yes, but here the case is it's local web server.

You are going to have to adjust IE's security settings regardless.

[snip]

[...]

Thank you very much. This is encouraging. I 'cooked up' the
following code as a starter, it launches MS Paint, however, a
designated image file failed to be opened up. Hmm, what didn't I do
right?

function runPaint(f) {
prog = "mspaint.exe 'C:\images\'+f";

-- caller
image xyz</a>

DL

Now, you may say, well, the image rendered via a web browser is stored
on the server side, yes, but here the case is it's local web server.
You are going to have to adjust IE's security settings regardless.
[snip]
Thank you very much.  This is encouraging.  I 'cooked up' the
following code as a starter, it launches MS Paint, however, a
designated image file failed to be opened up.  Hmm, what didn't I do
right?
function runPaint(f) {
prog = "mspaint.exe 'C:\images\'+f";

I'm not very familiar with Windows, but if this works at all, you'd need
to escape the backslashes.

  - Conrad

You're the Man! It solved the problem. Thanks a lot.

Jeremy J Starcher

On 2008-12-18 02:20, DL wrote:

I'm not very familiar with Windows, but if this works at all, you'd need
to escape the backslashes.

Correct, though the Windows API will also recognize the forward slash "/"
as a path separator.

*Wanders off, muttering about Microsoft choosing to use "/" as a switch
decades ago instead of the well-known dashes "-".)