    Now, you may say, well, the image rendered via a web browser is stored
    on the server side, yes, but here the case is it's local web server.

    Thanks.
    DL, Dec 17, 2008

  2. DL

    David Mark Guest

    On Dec 17, 11:13 am, DL <> wrote:
    > As we know, when an image file (via its extension) has been associated
    > with a graphics program Right click on it would bring up a bunch of
    > options including Edit with (File Explorerer).  Now, the question is,
    > how could one simulate this feature within IE7?  Is it even possible?

    Yes, it is possible with IE > 2 (IIRC) and will involve WSH to launch
    the associated app with the edit command and another ActiveX object to
    download and store the image locally (can't remember its name.)

    Of course, you could just associate the editor (as opposed to the
    stock image viewer) for the default command and serve the images as
    attachments when fetched with a query of some sort (would pop up the
    Open/Save As dialog.)

    > Now, you may say, well, the image rendered via a web browser is stored
    > on the server side, yes, but here the case is it's local web server.

    You are going to have to adjust IE's security settings regardless.

    [snip]
    David Mark, Dec 17, 2008

  3. DL

    DL Guest

    On Dec 17, 11:43 am, David Mark <> wrote:
    > On Dec 17, 11:13 am, DL <> wrote:
    >
    > > As we know, when an image file (via its extension) has been associated
    > > with a graphics program Right click on it would bring up a bunch of
    > > options including Edit with (File Explorerer).  Now, the question is,
    > > how could one simulate this feature within IE7?  Is it even possible?

    > Yes, it is possible with IE > 2 (IIRC) and will involve WSH to launch
    > the associated app with the edit command and another ActiveX object to
    > download and store the image locally (can't remember its name.)
    >
    > Of course, you could just associate the editor (as opposed to the
    > stock image viewer) for the default command and serve the images as
    > attachments when fetched with a query of some sort (would pop up the
    > Open/Save As dialog.)
    >
    > > Now, you may say, well, the image rendered via a web browser is stored
    > > on the server side, yes, but here the case is it's local web server.

    > You are going to have to adjust IE's security settings regardless.
    >
    > [snip]

    Thank you very much. This is encouraging. I 'cooked up' the
    following code as a starter, it launches MS Paint, however, a
    designated image file failed to be opened up. Hmm, what didn't I do
    right?

    function runPaint(f) {
    prog = "mspaint.exe 'C:\images\'+f";

    -- caller
    image xyz</a>
    DL, Dec 18, 2008
  4. DL

    DL Guest

    On Dec 17, 9:47 pm, Conrad Lender <> wrote:

    > >> You are going to have to adjust IE's security settings regardless.

    > >> [snip]

    > > Thank you very much.  This is encouraging.  I 'cooked up' the
    > > following code as a starter, it launches MS Paint, however, a
    > > designated image file failed to be opened up.  Hmm, what didn't I do
    > > right?

    > > function runPaint(f) {
    > > prog = "mspaint.exe 'C:\images\'+f";

    > I'm not very familiar with Windows, but if this works at all, you'd need
    > to escape the backslashes.
    >
    >   - Conrad

    You're the Man! It solved the problem. Thanks a lot.
    DL, Dec 18, 2008
  5. On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 03:47:40 +0100, Conrad Lender wrote:

    > On 2008-12-18 02:20, DL wrote:
    >
    > I'm not very familiar with Windows, but if this works at all, you'd need
    > to escape the backslashes.

    Correct, though the Windows API will also recognize the forward slash "/"
    as a path separator.

    *Wanders off, muttering about Microsoft choosing to use "/" as a switch
    decades ago instead of the well-known dashes "-".)
    Jeremy J Starcher, Dec 18, 2008