How to increase memory for w3wp process? > System.OutOfMemoryException

Talal Sultan

Hi people,

I was wondering if there was a way to control how much memory we can
allocate to an ASP.NET process. I have an application where users upload
files for special image processing. The images can be as big as 10 or 20MB
each. I have noticed that after an iisreset, the first upload works fine but
the memory used by the w3wp process (in windows 2003) jumps from about 80MB
to 390MB. Event after the processing is done and the site is not accessed
anymore, the memory is still used at 390MB and doesn't go down. So, when
performing a second upload later, the system will crash with the following
(excerpt):

Client found response content type of 'text/html; charset=utf-8', but
expected 'text/xml'.
The request failed with the error message:
--
<head>
<title>Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was

I am using a web service to do the computations. I figured that if I allow
the process to use more memory, the problem might be solved. The module
doing the processing is an unmanaged DLL and has been tested by itself and
doesn't have memory leaks.

Thanks,
Talal