    this.firstName = dbrow["firstName"].ToString();
    and, it did not work.

    What should I do? Any sample code? Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3?=, Sep 8, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3?=

    Marina Guest

    What does 'it did not work' mean? That could mean one of any number of
    things, and if you want constructive help, you will have to not be vague in
    your question. You need to tell us exactly how/when you are getting your
    data, what you expect to happen, what actually does happen, and the exact
    error message if any.

    Marina, Sep 8, 2005

  3. when I run it, I got error message:

    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\mes\Admin\NewUser.aspx.cs(53): 'mes.Admin.NewUser' does
    not contain a definition for 'firstName'

    but in HTML view, I did have:

    <TD><INPUT id="firstName" style="WIDTH: 204px; HEIGHT: 25px" type="text"
    size="28" name="fName"></TD>

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3?=, Sep 8, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3?=

    Marina Guest

    This is actually a compile time message. Not a runtime error.

    So, first off, any HTML tag you want to access in server side code needs to
    have a runat="server" on it. You then need to declare a corresponding
    variable. This would be automatically done for you if you had dragged the
    control onto the designer surfaces at design time.

    Additionally, setting an INPUT control to a string value makes no logical
    sense. You would want to set its Value property, not the actual object.

    I recommend you do some some reading on the ASP.NET server side control
    model before going too much further down this path.

    Marina, Sep 8, 2005
  5. Thanks.

    Just wonder if there is any performance difference when comparing using HTML
    controls and using Web Form controls. For example, <INPUT type="text".../> vs
    <asp:TextBox.../>? Why?

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3?=, Sep 8, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3?=

    Marina Guest

    They are different objects, the textbox will eventually get streamed out as
    an INPUT anyway. I don't know about the performance differences, I'm
    guessing minimal if any. Nothing to be concerned about in any case, because
    if there are any differences, it won't be anything a user would notice.

    Marina, Sep 8, 2005
  7. Andrew,

    I agree with Marina, you should look into some of the tutorials.
    Try www.gotdotnet.com (click the "Toolbox" on the bottom left).

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Sep 8, 2005
  8. >Nothing to be concerned about in any case, because
    > if there are any differences, it won't be anything a user would notice.

    I hope so. Could you make a research on it? If there is any difference, very
    small though, but it could be a big problem if a server or a server farm is
    hit hundreds or thousands times per second, especially when each page has
    tens such kinds of controls. If you do, could you let me know the results: my
    email is ? Thanks a lot.

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3?=, Sep 8, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3?=

    Marina Guest

    Umm... you want me to do research for an issue you are having?

    If you are not comfortable with the performance differences between
    controls, then you should do the research.

    Marina, Sep 8, 2005
  10. I thought it was a interesting high level concerns, not my own issue, I do
    not have servers being hit hundreds/thousands times, :)...

    What I can see the benefit here is: For a progrmmer, one will know when to
    use more HTML controls and when to Web Form controls, based on the research
    results.

    BTW, my guess is: Web Form controls is slower, try to avoid using them....

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3?=, Sep 8, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3?=

    Bruce Barker Guest

    you have several issues.

    1) if you did not specifiy a name for a textbox, or the browser will not
    post it back (becuase there is no name for ther name/value pair).

    2) you need a runat=server attribute for the code behind to see (the id
    attribute is used to create the name in the code behind)

    3) the html input control has a Value property.

    try:

    <INPUT type="text" id="firstName" name="firstName" runat=server />

    in onload

    if (!IsPostback)
    this.firstName.Value = dbrow["firstName"].ToString();

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Sep 8, 2005