How to insert a dropdownlist sourced by a dB inside a datalist row

Antonio D'Ottavio

Good Morning,
In my web page I've a datalist that is sourced by a database,
the problem is that I want that one of the column of the datalist contain a
dropdownbox
that also is sourced by a table in the database.

<asp:DropDownList id="ComboTipoPartita" runat="server"
DataValueField="IDTipoPartita"
DataTextField="DescrizioneTipoPartita"
DataSource= said:
</asp:DropDownList>

this seems impossible in aspx c# , the error tells :

" 'DataSource' property could be set just at runtime and cannot be declared
"

I'm interested to solve my problem of insert a dropdownlist powered by a db
inside a row of the datalist,
how I can achieve this ??

Many thanks.

Eng. Antonio D'Ottavio
www.etantonio.it/en

Eliyahu Goldin

As the error suggests, set the DataSource in the run-time in the datalist
ItemDataBound event.

Eliyahu

Antonio D'Ottavio

Thanks for your suggestion but I still have some problem
this is the error

System.NullReferenceException: Reference to an Object not setted on a
object instance

I have on the row numer 5 of the following function :

void BindComboTipoPartita(Object sender, DataListItemEventArgs e)
{
dsCampi.Tables.Add("TipoPartita");
OleDbDataAdapter daTipoPartita = new OleDbDataAdapter("SELECT
IDTipoPartita, DescrizioneTipoPartita from TipoPartita" ,OleDbconn);
daTipoPartita.Fill(dsCampi,"TipoPartita");
DropDownList ComboTipoPartita_DDL =
(DropDownList)e.Item.FindControl("ComboTipoPartita");
ComboTipoPartita_DDL.DataSource=dsCampi.Tables["TipoPartita"];
ComboTipoPartita_DDL.DataBind();
}

and this is the datalist defined in the way you suggest :

<ASP:DataList id="MyDataCampi" runat="server" HorizontalAlign="Center"
RepeatDirection="Horizontal" RepeatColumns="1"
OnEditCommand="Edit_Command" OnUpdateCommand="Update_Command"
OnDeleteCommand="Delete_Command"
OnCancelCommand="Cancel_Command" OnItemDataBound="BindComboTipoPartita"<HeaderTemplate>
</HeaderTemplate>

<ItemTemplate>
<asp:DropDownList id="ComboTipoPartita" runat="server"
DataValueField="IDTipoPartita"
DataTextField="DescrizioneTipoPartita"
</asp:DropDownList>
</ItemTemplate>

<FooterTemplate>
</FooterTemplate>
</ASP:DataList>

Have you any idea to solve the problem ???
Thanks ....

Antonio D'Ottavio
www.etantonio.it/en