How to install c++ on Windows

Discussion in 'C++' started by Marcelo, Jan 22, 2006.

  1. Marcelo

    Marcelo Guest

    Hi,

    I am having some problems while installing c++ on Windows.
    I have tried with
    http://www.mingw.org

    in order to use g++ in my system.
    The main problem is that the g++ over the command line doesn't find the
    libraries as
    stdio.h

    can you help me?

    thanks a lot,

    MArcelo
    Marcelo, Jan 22, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Marcelo wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am having some problems while installing c++ on Windows.
    > I have tried with
    > http://www.mingw.org


    This group is about C++ _language_, not about it's compilers and
    implementations so this is off-topic

    But,

    1. you might want to get devcpp (google, first link) it contains mingw
    (easy to install) and it provides IDE (with editor and so on)

    2. in free time, why not get a real operating system that includes g++
    compiler by default - go to https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ and you will
    redive 100% free (even without costs of transport) a CD (or serveral of
    them - give to friends) with linux (ubuntu distribution). It is quite
    easy to use by newbies. Although this IS an operating system, so
    installing it requires time and free hard disc partition or better yet a
    separate hard disc.
    =?UTF-8?B?UmFmYcWCIE1haiBSYWYyNTY=?=, Jan 22, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Marcelo

    TB Guest

    Rafał Maj Raf256 sade:
    > Marcelo wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am having some problems while installing c++ on Windows.
    >> I have tried with
    >> http://www.mingw.org

    >
    > This group is about C++ _language_, not about it's compilers and
    > implementations so this is off-topic
    >
    > But,
    >
    > 1. you might want to get devcpp (google, first link) it contains mingw
    > (easy to install) and it provides IDE (with editor and so on)
    >
    > 2. in free time, why not get a real operating system that includes g++
    > compiler by default - go to https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ and you will
    > redive 100% free (even without costs of transport) a CD (or serveral of
    > them - give to friends) with linux (ubuntu distribution). It is quite
    > easy to use by newbies. Although this IS an operating system, so
    > installing it requires time and free hard disc partition or better yet a
    > separate hard disc.


    Oh god, I hate blunt ignorant os advocacy. That obnoxious comment
    doesn't actually help the OP if it's windows he wants to develop on.
    Please leave out item 2 in future posts, this is not
    comp.os.linux.advocacy.

    --
    TB @ SWEDEN
    TB, Jan 22, 2006
    #3
  4. Re: How to install c++ on Windows (OT)

    On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 12:26:15 +0100, Marcelo <>
    wrote:
    >I am having some problems while installing c++ on Windows.
    >I have tried with http://www.mingw.org
    >in order to use g++ in my system.
    >The main problem is that the g++ over the command line doesn't find the
    >libraries as stdio.h
    >
    >can you help me?


    MingW has a confusing distribution system. If you are a beginner you
    may look at MinGW Developer Studio (simple VC++6-like IDE + MingW g++
    3.4.2).

    Best wishes,
    Roland Pibinger
    Roland Pibinger, Jan 22, 2006
    #4
  5. Re: How to install c++ on Windows (OT)

    On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 12:49:15 GMT, (Roland Pibinger)
    wrote:

    Forgot the link: http://www.parinyasoft.com/
    Roland Pibinger, Jan 22, 2006
    #5
  6. Marcelo

    C.B. Guest

    Look at http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/ where you can download the STL library
    and stdlib also (so, stdio.h). try the link : IOstreams
    library(experimental). (why experimental, I don't know ...)

    Don't forget when you compile to indicate g++ the paths of the include
    directories (using -I"/include/directory") and the lib directory.

    But it would be easier to use dev-cpp, or Visual C++ Express edition (which
    is free, you just havec to register with an passport / hotmail e-mail
    account) : http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/.
    C.B., Jan 22, 2006
    #6
  7. TB wrote:

    > Please leave out item 2 in future posts, this is not
    > comp.os.linux.advocacy.


    Threfore I dont write WHY linux IS better, only suggested an option to
    get a nice c++ compiler built into the system.
    =?UTF-8?B?UmFmYcWCIE1haiBSYWYyNTY=?=, Jan 22, 2006
    #7
  8. Marcelo

    Martin Mayer Guest

    Martin Mayer, Jan 22, 2006
    #8
  9. Marcelo

    John Carson Guest

    "Rafal Maj Raf256" <> wrote in
    message news:dr08kp$odu$
    > TB wrote:
    >
    >> Please leave out item 2 in future posts, this is not
    >> comp.os.linux.advocacy.

    >
    > Threfore I dont write WHY linux IS better, only suggested an option to
    > get a nice c++ compiler built into the system.



    The OP asked about installing a compiler for Windows. You advised him to
    install Linux ("a real operating system"). There could hardly be a clearer
    case of gratuitous Linux advocacy.

    --
    John Carson
    John Carson, Jan 22, 2006
    #9
  10. Marcelo

    eiji Guest

    eiji, Jan 22, 2006
    #10
  11. Marcelo

    Shark Guest

    Rafal Maj Raf256 wrote:
    > TB wrote:
    >
    > > Please leave out item 2 in future posts, this is not
    > > comp.os.linux.advocacy.

    >
    > Threfore I dont write WHY linux IS better, only suggested an option to


    haha, bias detected. A more politically correct statement: "_Threfore_
    I dont write WHY linux IS better or worse"
    Shark, Jan 22, 2006
    #11
  12. Marcelo

    Shark Guest

    C.B. wrote:
    > Look at http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/ where you can download the STL library
    > and stdlib also (so, stdio.h). try the link : IOstreams
    > library(experimental). (why experimental, I don't know ...)
    >
    > Don't forget when you compile to indicate g++ the paths of the include
    > directories (using -I"/include/directory") and the lib directory.
    >
    > But it would be easier to use dev-cpp, or Visual C++ Express edition (which
    > is free, you just havec to register with an passport / hotmail e-mail
    > account) : http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/.


    I used the free command line tools. A year or two ago I read that
    Borland was the most standard conforming compiler (not sure if it is
    still true or not). Aside from standard C++, windows programming is
    more hardcore with Borland than it is with dev studio so if you wanna
    become a windows geek you should use it :) Check it out:
    http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_cbuilder.html
    Shark, Jan 22, 2006
    #12
  13. Marcelo

    Jerry Coffin Guest

    Shark wrote:

    [ ... ]

    > I used the free command line tools. A year or two ago I read that
    > Borland was the most standard conforming compiler (not sure if it is
    > still true or not).


    It wasn't true a year ago, and it still isn't. I'm reasonably certain
    the closest to perfect conformance is from the Comeau compiler. Intel's
    compiler is also very close (and, not coincidentally, based on the same
    front-end).

    The OP hasn't said whether he's only interested in free tools -- both
    Comeau and Intel cost money (though Comeau is quite inexpensive).
    Incidentally, Comeau's compiler is purely a front-end, so you need some
    other compiler to generate code -- but all the usual compilers for
    Windows qualify. For free tools, the Borland ones aren't bad. Then
    again, I think Microsoft's free tools are better -- while Microsoft had
    serious conformance issues for a while, those are mostly a thing of the
    past. IME, the Microsoft compiler generally has better optimization as
    well (though I suppose that's only borderline topical). As has been
    mentioned elsethread, there are several different distributions of gcc
    for Windows, but the Bloodshed IDE is almost certainly the easiest to
    get installed and operational.

    --
    Later,
    Jerry.
    Jerry Coffin, Jan 22, 2006
    #13
  14. I suggest you check out : http://codeblocks.org/

    They are still on RC2, but i guess most Devcpp users will move to
    codeblocks as soon as 1.0 is out.
    Einar Forselv, Jan 23, 2006
    #14
  15. Marcelo

    Martin Mayer Guest

    I use Visual Studio and I think if you'll want to become a good
    developer, its really recommended to get Visual Studio. For starting
    you can use a Compiler liek g++ or DevC++.
    Martin Mayer, Jan 23, 2006
    #15
  16. Marcelo

    Guest

    TB wrote:

    > Oh god, I hate blunt ignorant os advocacy. That obnoxious comment
    > doesn't actually help the OP if it's windows he wants to develop on.
    > Please leave out item 2 in future posts, this is not
    > comp.os.linux.advocacy.
    >


    That obnoxious comment doesn't help the OP either. Your post is
    totally off topic. This isn't alt.flame.
    , Jan 23, 2006
    #16
  17. Marcelo

    Ben Pope Guest

    wrote:
    > TB wrote:
    >
    >> Oh god, I hate blunt ignorant os advocacy. That obnoxious comment
    >> doesn't actually help the OP if it's windows he wants to develop on.
    >> Please leave out item 2 in future posts, this is not
    >> comp.os.linux.advocacy.
    >>

    >
    > That obnoxious comment doesn't help the OP either. Your post is
    > totally off topic. This isn't alt.flame.


    and so on... ad infinitum.

    Probably best to leave it at that.

    Ben Pope
    --
    I'm not just a number. To many, I'm known as a string...
    Ben Pope, Jan 23, 2006
    #17
  18. Marcelo

    C.B. Guest

    Jerry Coffin wrote:

    > Incidentally, Comeau's compiler is purely a front-end, so you need some
    > other compiler to generate code -- but all the usual compilers for
    > Windows qualify.


    What do you mean by "Comeau's compiler is purely a front-end" ? For me a
    front-end is like a GUI or something. A compiler produces code, or it isn't
    a compiler, is it ?
    C.B., Jan 23, 2006
    #18
  19. Marcelo

    Ian Collins Guest

    C.B. wrote:
    > Jerry Coffin wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Incidentally, Comeau's compiler is purely a front-end, so you need some
    >>other compiler to generate code -- but all the usual compilers for
    >>Windows qualify.

    >
    >
    > What do you mean by "Comeau's compiler is purely a front-end" ? For me a
    > front-end is like a GUI or something. A compiler produces code, or it isn't
    > a compiler, is it ?


    It can produce something (which could be C) for a back end to turn into
    assembler. Most compilers use at least two parts, a platform
    independent front end and a platform (but not necessarily language)
    specific back end.

    The first C++ compilers where front ends (cfront) to C compilers.

    --
    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, Jan 23, 2006
    #19
  20. Marcelo

    Ben Radford Guest

    Marcelo wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am having some problems while installing c++ on Windows.
    > I have tried with
    > http://www.mingw.org
    >
    > in order to use g++ in my system.
    > The main problem is that the g++ over the command line doesn't find the
    > libraries as
    > stdio.h
    >
    > can you help me?
    >
    > thanks a lot,
    >
    > MArcelo


    Try using Dev-Cpp (http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html). It's an IDE
    that uses MinGW/GCC as it's compiler and should work right out of the
    box. If you really want to use C++ from the command line try using the
    -I parameter to include the folder that the standard library headers are
    in. Something like:

    $ g++ -I/usr/include hw.cpp -o hw

    Substituting /usr/include for the standard header path on your Windows
    system. Once you get it working you can dump it all into a make file.

    Regards
    Ben Radford, Jan 24, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. RJGraham
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    10,264
    Ryan Stewart
    Feb 14, 2004
  2. Richard Hanson
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    693
    David Bolen
    Aug 31, 2004
  3. Omita
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    321
    Piet van Oostrum
    Apr 30, 2009
  4. Nils Ruettershoff
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    476
    Nils Ruettershoff
    Jul 22, 2010
  5. Nils Ruettershoff
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    512
    Nils Ruettershoff
    Jul 22, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page