How to install c++ on Windows

Jerry Coffin

C.B. said:
What do you mean by "Comeau's compiler is purely a front-end" ? For me a
front-end is like a GUI or something. A compiler produces code, or it isn't
a compiler, is it ?

Sorry for not being clear. His compiler produces C source code as its
output. This code is then fed to some other compiler of your choice to
produce the final executable.

Other than compile times being a bit on the slow side, in normal use
this is all transparent though -- you invoke his compiler, and out
comes an executable.

To be entirely complete, I should also mention that calling it purely a
front-end isn't entirely accurate either -- along with the front-end
part, at least in the Windows version, he also includes a pre-linker
program that's decidedly a back-end sort of thing. Again, use is
transparent though -- other than the ocassional message from it telling
you about what it's done.

Gabriel

eiji said:
I know, it's the devil-company, but if you want a windows-c++ compiler
I recommend
the new VC++ Express Edition from MS.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/

It's for free totay and this is, sorry, a real good compiler.

Don't use this. Use The Bloodshed DevCpp. Thats Simple. More difficult,
but also interesting is Eclipse with CDT Plugin and Cygwin.

There may be sometimes reasons to use M$ Visual, but don't use it if you
have the choice. It may be real, but it is far from good and it is not
C++ compiler. It just compiles something sometimes similar to C++.

Gabriel

Ben Pope

Gabriel said:
Don't use this. Use The Bloodshed DevCpp. Thats Simple. More difficult,
but also interesting is Eclipse with CDT Plugin and Cygwin.

There may be sometimes reasons to use M$ Visual, but don't use it if you
have the choice. It may be real, but it is far from good and it is not
C++ compiler. It just compiles something sometimes similar to C++.

I was under the impression that the compiler that comes with VC8 is one
of the most conformant out there, what specific problems does it have?

Ben Pope

John Carson

Gabriel said:
Don't use this. Use The Bloodshed DevCpp. Thats Simple. More
difficult, but also interesting is Eclipse with CDT Plugin and Cygwin.

There may be sometimes reasons to use M$ Visual, but don't use it if
you have the choice. It may be real, but it is far from good and it
is not C++ compiler. It just compiles something sometimes similar to
C++.

Rubbish. It is a very good C++ compiler with a very good IDE. It is not as
standards comformant as Comeau, of course, but neither is Bloodshed DevCpp.

JustBoo

Don't use this. Use The Bloodshed DevCpp. Thats Simple. More difficult,
but also interesting is Eclipse with CDT Plugin and Cygwin.

Do you know how conformant Bloodshed is? Also what version of gcc it
is using? I guess I'll wend my way to their website and see as well,
but advice from someone who uses it can be invaluable for saving time.

TIA

"Time is a most precious asset."