How to install/configure ruby as a non-root user

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Pra Bhandar, Feb 18, 2009.

  1. Pra Bhandar

    Pra Bhandar Guest

    Hi,
    I am trying to install ruby as a non-root user. I found that with
    -prefix this works fine. I am thinking this has something to do with
    library path settings. However, I am not sure how to go about figuring
    this out. Any help would be highly appreciated.

    rh511grac1:unset> ./server.rb
    /kernel.rb:18:in `include': wrong argument type Class (expected Module)
    (TypeError)
    from ./kernel.rb:18
    from ./server.rb:5:in `require'
    from ./server.rb:5

    Thanks.

    Prakash
    Pra Bhandar, Feb 18, 2009

  2. On Feb 18, 2009, at 6:08 AM, Pra Bhandar wrote:

    > rh511grac1:unset> ./server.rb
    > ./kernel.rb:18:in `include': wrong argument type Class (expected
    > Module)
    > (TypeError)
    > from ./kernel.rb:18
    > from ./server.rb:5:in `require'
    > from ./server.rb:5

    Is server your own code?

    If yes, you are just doing something wrong (by calling include with a
    Class, not a Module[1]). If this is not your code, contact the author.

    This is no problem of the installation.

    Regards,
    Florian

    [1]: If you don't know the difference, read any tutorial on Ruby.

    --
    Florian Gilcher

    smtp:
    jabber:
    gpg: 533148E2
    Florian Gilcher, Feb 18, 2009

  3. Pra Bhandar

    Pra Bhandar Guest

    Florian Gilcher wrote:
    > On Feb 18, 2009, at 6:08 AM, Pra Bhandar wrote:
    >>
    >> rh511grac1:unset> ./server.rb
    >> ./kernel.rb:18:in `include': wrong argument type Class (expected
    >> Module)
    >> (TypeError)
    >> from ./kernel.rb:18
    >> from ./server.rb:5:in `require'
    >> from ./server.rb:5

    > Is server your own code?
    >
    > If yes, you are just doing something wrong (by calling include with a
    > Class, not a Module[1]). If this is not your code, contact the author.
    >
    > This is no problem of the installation.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Florian
    >
    > [1]: If you don't know the difference, read any tutorial on Ruby.
    >
    > --
    > Florian Gilcher
    >
    > smtp:
    > jabber:
    > gpg: 533148E2

    Hi Florian,

    Yes, the server.rb and kernel.rb is internal code. I was starting to go
    down that path that you suggested and was thrown off by this one fact.
    If I use the default ruby interpreter that was preinstalled in /usr/bin
    then I don't get that error. Is there some type of flag that is doing
    internal error handling automatically for me in the /usr/bin/ruby that
    my install of ruby is not setup to do.

    Thank you very much for your response.

    Prakash

    Pra Bhandar, Feb 18, 2009