    comprehend the PATH lookup logic (or lack of it)]

    Another related question: I gather that easy_install is being
    superseded by pypi or some such but I cant find the link...
    rusi, May 13, 2011

  2. rusi

    Ian Kelly Guest

    On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 11:40 AM, rusi <> wrote:
    > I tried to install easy_install (This is on windows)
    > I downloaded the executable and ran it. It claimed to have done its
    > job.
    >
    > But now when I type easy_install at a cmd prompt I get
    > easy_install is not a command...
    >
    > [I guess I am a perennial noob to windows, never being able to
    > comprehend the PATH lookup logic (or lack of it)]
    >
    > Another related question: I gather that easy_install is being
    > superseded by pypi or some such but I cant find the link...

    easy_install is part of the setuptools or distribute package. I
    assume that one of these is what you installed.

    On Windows, the easy_install command is installed into your Python
    Scripts directory, which should be something like
    "C:\Python27\Tools\Scripts" or "C:\Python25\Scripts" depending on your
    Python version. You just need to find that directory and add it to
    your PATH.

    PyPI is the Python package index. It's a website at
    http://pypi.python.org/ -- not a replacement for setuptools or
    easy_install, which uses it to look up package metadata. Setuptools
    is supposed to be superseded by distribute, which may be what you
    heard.

    HTH,
    Ian
    Ian Kelly, May 13, 2011

  3. rusi

    TheSaint Guest

    rusi wrote:

    > tried to install easy_install (This is on windows)
    > I downloaded the executable and ran it. It claimed to have done its
    > job.

    Perhaps, the abit to just click is disordering some easy steps like copy the
    script files into the normal place.
    Only when there's a particular copy then it's the time to pay attention,
    like some executable and/or framework.
    In the README.txt should mention these few easy steps

    --
    goto /dev/null
    TheSaint, May 14, 2011