How to install eRuby on Mac OS X 10.3

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Jonas Hartmann, Jul 11, 2004.

  1. Welcome list, I am new to this and to ruby :)
    I want to start ruby and use it instead of php where it is possible to
    write small and medium sized web applications using sql and xml. i
    tried that in php but was not happy with the object orientation.

    I hope that ruby will force me into more oop-like coding style and
    enable more possibilities - I once did java for a short period

    Can one hand me over some tutorial/documentation links how to set up
    ruby/eruby and configure apache on Mac OS X? apache is already running:
    http://ionas.homeunix.org/

    I was following the following information:
    http://modruby.net/en/index.rbx/mod_ruby/install.html#label-0

    ionas:~/Desktop/eruby-1.0.5 ionas$ ./configure.rb
    --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs --enable-shared
    checking whether we are using gcc... yes
    checking Ruby version... 1.6.8
    checking for default charset... iso-8859-1
    checking whether enable shared... yes
    creating config.h
    creating Makefile
    ionas:~/Desktop/eruby-1.0.5 ionas$ make
    gcc -g -Os -pipe -no-cpp-precomp -fno-common -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H -pipe
    -pipe -Wall -I. -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0 -c eruby_lib.c
    ar rcu liberuby.a eruby_lib.o
    cc -g -Os -pipe -no-cpp-precomp -fno-common -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H -pipe
    -pipe -Wall -I. -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0 -dynamic -bundle
    -undefined suppress -flat_namespace -L/usr/lib eruby_lib.o \
    -ldl -lobjc -o liberuby.bundle.1.0.5
    gcc -L/usr/lib eruby_logo.o eruby_main.o -L. -leruby
    /usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0/libruby.a -ldl -lobjc -o eruby
    gcc: /usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0/libruby.a: No such file or
    directory
    make: *** [eruby] Error 1
    ionas:~/Desktop/eruby-1.0.5 ionas$

    There simply is no libruby.a - how do I get that libary now? how can I
    compile it from where?

    ionas:/usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0 ionas$ ls -ha
    dln.h node.h rubyio.h util.h
    .. env.h pty.bundle rubysig.h
    version.h
    config.h etc.bundle rbconfig.rb sdbm.bundle
    defines.h fcntl.bundle re.h socket.bundle
    digest intern.h regex.h st.h
    digest.bundle nkf.bundle ruby.h tkutil.bundle

    --
    Best regards
    Jonas Hartmann
    Jonas Hartmann, Jul 11, 2004

  2. The following worked for me:

    http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?ModRubyWithRuby181

    In general, look over http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyOnMacintosh for
    more Ruby on Macintosh information. And if you have find anything new,
    please add to the pages! There are a lot of repeat Mac questions that
    would be nicely summarized on the wiki.

    The other thing I did to configure on Mac was get readline working with
    irb. I downloaded the bundle linked to on this page (it worked fine for
    me on 10.3)-
    http://cherryville.org/8896/ruby_readline_for_mac.html

    irb is an interactive ruby interpreter that is helpful when learning
    ruby. readline enables command history in it.

    Nick

    Nicholas Van Weerdenburg, Jul 12, 2004

  3. Whuuu, there is modruby and eruby, what is the difference/their jobs?

    --
    best regards
    Jonas Hartmann

    Jonas Hartmann, Jul 12, 2004
  4. eRuby is similair to PHP where the code is actually embedded in the
    HTML. Mod_Ruby is like mod_perl allowing for ruby Ruby scripts to be
    run efficiently on the server side.

    Farrel Lifson, Jul 12, 2004
  5. Thanks to your short and good help, I made it working! (Mac OS X 10.3
    Apache 1.x with mod_ruby)

    Anyone can recommend me some Ruby, preferably eRuby tutorials/examples?
    --
    best regards
    Jonas Hartmann

    Jonas Hartmann, Jul 12, 2004
  6. On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 08:30:34 +0900, Jonas Hartmann wrote:
    > Can one hand me over some tutorial/documentation links how to set up
    > ruby/eruby and configure apache on Mac OS X? apache is already running:
    > http://ionas.homeunix.org/

    It is probably easier to install and configure DarwinPorts
    <http://www.opendarwin.org/> and use all the ruby modules from
    there.

    That way you'll get Ruby 1.8 (system one is 1.6.8) and lots of
    modules.
    Ollivier Robert, Jul 12, 2004
  7. On Jul 13, 2004, at 12:42 AM, Ollivier Robert wrote:

    > On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 08:30:34 +0900, Jonas Hartmann wrote:
    >> Can one hand me over some tutorial/documentation links how to set up
    >> ruby/eruby and configure apache on Mac OS X? apache is already
    >> running:
    >> http://ionas.homeunix.org/

    > It is probably easier to install and configure DarwinPorts
    > <http://www.opendarwin.org/> and use all the ruby modules from
    > there.
    >
    > That way you'll get Ruby 1.8 (system one is 1.6.8) and lots of
    > modules.

    system one is 1.6.8?
    The one Mac OS X ships, yes.
    I used darwinports and I was not happy/successful, then I made it by
    hand and it works fine now :)
    Jonas Hartmann, Jul 13, 2004