How to install eRuby on Mac OS X 10.3

Jonas Hartmann

Welcome list, I am new to this and to ruby :)
I want to start ruby and use it instead of php where it is possible to
write small and medium sized web applications using sql and xml. i
tried that in php but was not happy with the object orientation.

I hope that ruby will force me into more oop-like coding style and
enable more possibilities - I once did java for a short period

Can one hand me over some tutorial/documentation links how to set up
ruby/eruby and configure apache on Mac OS X? apache is already running:
http://ionas.homeunix.org/

I was following the following information:
http://modruby.net/en/index.rbx/mod_ruby/install.html#label-0

ionas:~/Desktop/eruby-1.0.5 ionas$ ./configure.rb
--with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs --enable-shared
checking whether we are using gcc... yes
checking Ruby version... 1.6.8
checking for default charset... iso-8859-1
checking whether enable shared... yes
creating config.h
creating Makefile
ionas:~/Desktop/eruby-1.0.5 ionas$ make
gcc -g -Os -pipe -no-cpp-precomp -fno-common -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H -pipe
-pipe -Wall -I. -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0 -c eruby_lib.c
ar rcu liberuby.a eruby_lib.o
cc -g -Os -pipe -no-cpp-precomp -fno-common -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H -pipe
-pipe -Wall -I. -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0 -dynamic -bundle
-undefined suppress -flat_namespace -L/usr/lib eruby_lib.o \
-ldl -lobjc -o liberuby.bundle.1.0.5
gcc -L/usr/lib eruby_logo.o eruby_main.o -L. -leruby
/usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0/libruby.a -ldl -lobjc -o eruby
gcc: /usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0/libruby.a: No such file or
directory
make: *** [eruby] Error 1
ionas:~/Desktop/eruby-1.0.5 ionas$

There simply is no libruby.a - how do I get that libary now? how can I
compile it from where?

ionas:/usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0 ionas$ ls -ha
dln.h node.h rubyio.h util.h
.. env.h pty.bundle rubysig.h
version.h
config.h etc.bundle rbconfig.rb sdbm.bundle
defines.h fcntl.bundle re.h socket.bundle
digest intern.h regex.h st.h
digest.bundle nkf.bundle ruby.h tkutil.bundle

--
Best regards
Jonas Hartmann

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

The following worked for me:

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?ModRubyWithRuby181

In general, look over http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyOnMacintosh for
more Ruby on Macintosh information. And if you have find anything new,
please add to the pages! There are a lot of repeat Mac questions that
would be nicely summarized on the wiki.

The other thing I did to configure on Mac was get readline working with
irb. I downloaded the bundle linked to on this page (it worked fine for
me on 10.3)-
http://cherryville.org/8896/ruby_readline_for_mac.html

irb is an interactive ruby interpreter that is helpful when learning
ruby. readline enables command history in it.

Nick

Jonas said:
[...]

Whuuu, there is modruby and eruby, what is the difference/their jobs?

--

Jonas said:
[...]

Farrel Lifson

eRuby is similair to PHP where the code is actually embedded in the
HTML. Mod_Ruby is like mod_perl allowing for ruby Ruby scripts to be
run efficiently on the server side.

Jonas said:
[...]

Thanks to your short and good help, I made it working! (Mac OS X 10.3
Apache 1.x with mod_ruby)

Anyone can recommend me some Ruby, preferably eRuby tutorials/examples?
--

\
[...]

It is probably easier to install and configure DarwinPorts
<http://www.opendarwin.org/> and use all the ruby modules from
there.

That way you'll get Ruby 1.8 (system one is 1.6.8) and lots of
modules.
system one is 1.6.8?
The one Mac OS X ships, yes.
I used darwinports and I was not happy/successful, then I made it by
hand and it works fine now :)