How to install pyparallel

Michel LE VAN KIEM

Hi everybody !

I'm trying to install the pyparallel module for my Python 2.3.4 (runs on
a FC3) but I do have some troubles.

When I import the parallel module, python shows the following message :/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/parallel/parallelppdev.py:32:
FutureWarning: x<<y losing bits or changing sign will return a long in
Python 2.4 and up IOC_INPUT = (IOC_WRITE | _IOC_READ) << _IOC_DIRSHIFT
ppdev0: failed to register device !
IOError: [No such device or address]

Some help would be appreciated.

Michel

Peter Hansen

Michel said:
I'm trying to install the pyparallel module for my Python 2.3.4 (runs on
a FC3) but I do have some troubles.
ppdev0: failed to register device !
IOError: [No such device or address]

Some help would be appreciated.

Did you read the notes in the parallelppydev.py file's
Parallel class? I suspect they may be of some help...

(I don't see any other significant documentation of
pyParallel, so I'm not sure where else one would look
for assistance.)

Also, perhaps one of these threads would be of help:
http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=parallel+ppdev0+failed+to+register+device

-Peter

Michel LE VAN KIEM

The ppdev module is loaded and the lp module is unloaded, but I still
have the error message. I used 'lsmod | grep ppdev' to check it.

Is it necessary to plug the parallel cable ?

Peter Hansen a écrit :
Michel said:
I'm trying to install the pyparallel module for my Python 2.3.4 (runs
on a FC3) but I do have some troubles.
p=parallel.Parallel()
ppdev0: failed to register device !
IOError: [No such device or address]

Some help would be appreciated.

Did you read the notes in the parallelppydev.py file's
Parallel class? I suspect they may be of some help...

(I don't see any other significant documentation of
pyParallel, so I'm not sure where else one would look
for assistance.)

Also, perhaps one of these threads would be of help:
http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=parallel+ppdev0+failed+to+register+device

-Peter

Michel LE VAN KIEM

The complete error message is :/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/parallel/parallelppdev.py:32:
FutureWarning: x<<y losing bits or changing sign will return a long in
Python 2.4 and up IOC_INOUT = (IOC_WRITE | _IOC_READ) << _IOC_DIRSHIFT
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/parallel/parallelppdev.py:33:
FutureWarning: x<<y losing bits or changing sign will return a long in
Python 2.4 and up IOC_OUT = _IOC_READ << _IOC_DIRSHIFT
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/parallel/parallelppdev.py", line
176, in __init__ self.PPCLAIM
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/parallel/parallelppdev.py", line
203, in PPCLAIM fcntl.ioctl(self._fd, PPCLAIM)
ppdev0: [Errno 6] failed to register device !