    IOError: [No such device or address]

    Some help would be appreciated.

    Michel

    Michel LE VAN KIEM, Jan 13, 2005

  2. Michel LE VAN KIEM

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Michel LE VAN KIEM wrote:

    > I'm trying to install the pyparallel module for my Python 2.3.4 (runs on
    > a FC3) but I do have some troubles.

    > ppdev0: failed to register device !
    > IOError: [No such device or address]
    >
    > Some help would be appreciated.

    Did you read the notes in the parallelppydev.py file's
    Parallel class? I suspect they may be of some help...

    (I don't see any other significant documentation of
    pyParallel, so I'm not sure where else one would look
    for assistance.)

    Also, perhaps one of these threads would be of help:
    http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=parallel ppdev0 failed to register device

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Jan 13, 2005

  3. The ppdev module is loaded and the lp module is unloaded, but I still
    have the error message. I used 'lsmod | grep ppdev' to check it.

    Is it necessary to plug the parallel cable ?

    Michel LE VAN KIEM, Jan 13, 2005
  4. The complete error message is :
    >>> import parallel

    /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/parallel/parallelppdev.py:32:
    FutureWarning: x<<y losing bits or changing sign will return a long in
    Python 2.4 and up IOC_INOUT = (IOC_WRITE | _IOC_READ) << _IOC_DIRSHIFT
    /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/parallel/parallelppdev.py:33:
    FutureWarning: x<<y losing bits or changing sign will return a long in
    Python 2.4 and up IOC_OUT = _IOC_READ << _IOC_DIRSHIFT

    >>> p=parallel.Parallel()

    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
    File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/parallel/parallelppdev.py", line
    176, in __init__ self.PPCLAIM
    File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/parallel/parallelppdev.py", line
    203, in PPCLAIM fcntl.ioctl(self._fd, PPCLAIM)
    ppdev0: [Errno 6] failed to register device !

    Michel LE VAN KIEM, Jan 13, 2005