how to install/use MP3::Tag in Windows environment?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Ozmodiar, Feb 6, 2007.

  1. Ozmodiar

    Ozmodiar Guest

    ahoy:

    i am working on a project in Windows XP where i must read MP3 file ID3v2
    information (particularly long (>30 char) Artist and Title)

    (This is perl, v5.8.0 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread)

    i was able to install and use MP3::Info, by downloading the source to
    mp3-info.ppm and doing
    C:\Perl> ppm install mp3-info

    i could access this from my perl code and it seemed to work as advertised,
    but this module does not let me get at the long artist/title information.

    it looks like the module i really want is MP3::Tag
    http://search.cpan.org/~ilyaz/MP3-Tag-0.9709/Tag.pm

    i'm not a windows/perl heavy and don't understand how to go from the
    downloadable
    modules/MP3-Tag-0.9709.tar.gz
    file, to getting this installed from DOS command prompt (C:\Perl>)

    i used Stuffit to extract the contents into my Perl dir
    then did
    C:\Perl> perl Makefile.pl
    (got back:
    Writing Makefile for MP3::Tag
    Writing Makefile for MP3::Tag
    )

    then i did
    C:\Perl> ppm install Tag
    (got back:
    Error: 'Tag' not found. Please 'search' for it first.
    )

    Tag.pm is in my working dir, as are folders: /examples, /Tag, /tk-tag
    don't know why "not found" (or what i'm really doing).

    can anyone baby-talk me through this?

    thanks very much,
    -rr
    Ozmodiar, Feb 6, 2007

  2. Ozmodiar

    John Bokma Guest

    "Ozmodiar" <> wrote:

    > i used Stuffit to extract the contents into my Perl dir
    > then did
    > C:\Perl> perl Makefile.pl
    > (got back:
    > Writing Makefile for MP3::Tag
    > Writing Makefile for MP3::Tag
    > )
    >
    > then i did
    > C:\Perl> ppm install Tag
    > (got back:
    > Error: 'Tag' not found. Please 'search' for it first.
    > )

    Yup, wrong.

    See http://johnbokma.com/perl/make-for-windows.html
    for baby steps :)

    John Bokma, Feb 7, 2007

  3. Ozmodiar

    Sisyphus Guest

    "Ozmodiar" <> wrote in message
    ..
    ..
    > then i did
    > C:\Perl> ppm install Tag
    > (got back:
    > Error: 'Tag' not found. Please 'search' for it first.
    > )

    All you need do is (while connected to the internet) run:
    ppm install MP3-Tag

    For ppm installations there's no need to download the CPAN source (or
    anything else ftm).

    Cheers,
    Rob
    Sisyphus, Feb 7, 2007
  4. Ozmodiar

    Ozmodiar Guest

    "Sisyphus" <> wrote in message

    > "Ozmodiar" <> wrote in message
    > .
    > .
    >> then i did
    >> C:\Perl> ppm install Tag
    >> (got back:
    >> Error: 'Tag' not found. Please 'search' for it first.
    >> )

    > All you need do is (while connected to the internet) run:
    > ppm install MP3-Tag
    >
    > For ppm installations there's no need to download the CPAN source (or
    > anything else ftm).
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Rob

    that was sweet!
    got it all working in no time after that.

    thank you *very* much!
    -rr
    Ozmodiar, Feb 7, 2007
  5. Ozmodiar

    Guest

    On Feb 6, 3:57 pm, "Ozmodiar" <> wrote:
    > ahoy:
    >
    > i am working on a project in Windows XP where i must read MP3 file ID3v2
    > information (particularly long (>30 char) Artist and Title)
    >
    > (This is perl, v5.8.0 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread)
    >
    > i was able to install and use MP3::Info, by downloading the source to
    > mp3-info.ppm and doing
    > C:\Perl> ppm install mp3-info
    >
    > i could access this from my perl code and it seemed to work as advertised,
    > but this module does not let me get at the long artist/title information.
    >
    > it looks like the module i really want is MP3::Taghttp://search.cpan.org/~ilyaz/MP3-Tag-0.9709/Tag.pm
    >
    > i'm not a windows/perl heavy and don't understand how to go from the
    > downloadable
    > modules/MP3-Tag-0.9709.tar.gz
    > file, to getting this installed from DOS command prompt (C:\Perl>)
    >
    > i used Stuffit to extract the contents into my Perl dir
    > then did
    > C:\Perl> perl Makefile.pl
    > (got back:
    > Writing Makefile for MP3::Tag
    > Writing Makefile for MP3::Tag
    > )
    >
    > then i did
    > C:\Perl> ppm install Tag
    > (got back:
    > Error: 'Tag' not found. Please 'search' for it first.
    > )
    >
    > Tag.pm is in my working dir, as are folders: /examples, /Tag, /tk-tag
    > don't know why "not found" (or what i'm really doing).
    >
    > can anyone baby-talk me through this?
    >
    > thanks very much,
    > -rr

    Run ppm install MP3::Tag