How to Integrate Java Web Apps with MS Office ?

Discussion in 'Java' started by krislioe@gmail.com, Feb 27, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi All,

    We want to develope Java Web Applications (JSF) that will integrate
    with Microsoft Word (MS Office), i.e :

    - clicking one button from JSF will invoke MS Word (provided MS Word is
    installed on that client machine)

    - From MS Word, users are able to access Database (e.g: get list of
    users that the emails will be send to) (This can be done with VStudio
    2005 / VSTO, but we are not using .Net, but Java instead)

    Additional info :
    Web server / apps server is in Linux
    All clients using Windows.

    How can I get above functionalities ?

    Thank you for your help,
    Krist
    , Feb 27, 2006

  2. Andy Dingley Guest

    On 27 Feb 2006 07:37:28 -0800, wrote:

    >We want to develope Java Web Applications (JSF) that will integrate
    >with Microsoft Word (MS Office), i.e :

    You could start by looking at Jacob
    http://danadler.com/jacob/

    This is a Java - COM bridge, so it's easy to gain access to the
    back-ends of most M$oft applications. Interactive use is a bit more
    tricky.
    Andy Dingley, Feb 28, 2006

    J-Integra can be used for this purpose as well. It's a commercial
    product but comes with a 30 day eval license so you can try it out
    first. Here's a Java-Word example from the documentation...

    Accessing Microsoft Word from Java
    http://j-integra.intrinsyc.com/support/com/doc/#other_examples/Word_from_Java.htm

    Regards,
    Shane Sauer
    J-Integra Interoperability Solutions
    http://j-integra.intrinsyc.com/
    high performance interop middleware for java, corba, com & .net
    , Mar 1, 2006