How to integrate securely?

Olav Tollefsen

I'm building an ASP.NET based web application. I have a need to deliver
content to another web site which is developed by another company using the
old ASP programming model. My content is not freely available. The other web
site would have to provide username / password in order to get the content
returned. I'm not sure if they are able to call a web service to get at the
content from my ASP.NET site.

What other alternative techniques can be used to implement this as easy as
possible while still secure?

Olav

Scott Allen

Hi Olav:

If you are worried about transmitting your content in plaintext, the
first step would be to install an SSL certificate on your server for
SSL.

One way the ASP site could get to your content is the XMLHttp
component which can do simple GET and POST operations. If you do a
search, you'll also see examples where people are using XMLHttp to
login to sites that require forms authentication, so this should work.

I'd lean toward using the Microsoft SOAP Toolkit from ASP, and writing
a web service in ASP.NET. The toolkit supports authentication and SSL,
and there are plenty of examples around.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/building/soaptk/default.aspx