How to interface with C# without IronPython

Mudcat

All the topics I seem to find on this topic lead me in the direction
of IronPython, but I'm not interested right now in a reimplementation
of Python in .Net environment. There are wrappers and methods
available for integrating with Java, C, and a bevy of other
languages.

I don't know much about .Net. I have it installed and can run the
applications that I need to interface with, but I'd like to get direct
access to the libraries without having to create .exe file
workarounds. Is there a way to do that with CPython?

Thanks

Chris Rebert

All the topics I seem to find on this topic lead me in the direction
of IronPython, but I'm not interested right now in a reimplementation
of Python in .Net environment. There are wrappers and methods
available for integrating with Java, C, and a bevy of other
languages.

I don't know much about .Net. I have it installed and can run the
applications that I need to interface with, but I'd like to get direct
access to the libraries without having to create .exe file
workarounds. Is there a way to do that with CPython?

Haven't used it, but Python for .NET sounds like it might be what you
want: http://pythonnet.sourceforge.net/

Cheers,
Chris

Mudcat

I've done some development for and with PythonDotNET. It's definitely
the right thing. It works with .NET, Mono andPython2.4 to 2.6.

Christian

That looks exactly like what I'm searching for. I'll give it a shot.

One question, the last update for that is back in '07. Do you know if
it's still in active development?

Thanks

Kay Schluehr

That looks exactly like what I'm searching for. I'll give it a shot.

One question, the last update for that is back in '07. Do you know if
it's still in active development?

Thanks

Don't think it's maintained right now. But be aware that it runs well
for the current CLR 2.0.

For using .NET 3.5 features you just have to add

c:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.5\

to your Python path and add assemblies with clr.AddReference as
convenient.

Mudcat

Don't think it's maintained right now. But be aware that it runs well
for the current CLR 2.0.

For using .NET 3.5 features you just have to add

c:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.5\

to your Python path and add assemblies with clr.AddReference as
convenient.

Based on the archived emails I know that it can work on Python 2.6,
but it's not clear what modifications are necessary. I downloaded the
source files to run independently, and that was capable of running
with installs of Python 2.4 and 2.5. If I download the installer will
it automatically recognize 2.6, or will I need to change paths and
possibly re-compile?

Thanks

Kay Schluehr

Based on the archived emails I know that it can work on Python 2.6,
but it's not clear what modifications are necessary. I downloaded the
source files to run independently, and that was capable of running
with installs of Python 2.4 and 2.5.
If I download the installer will
it automatically recognize 2.6, or will I need to change paths and
possibly re-compile?

Thanks

You'll have to change the BUILD option in the project settings of the
Python.Runtime assembly. There is already a conditional compilation
switch for Python 2.6 available in the source. So after this has been
done it will build pythonnet for Python 2.6.