How to keep child window open when parent closes?

John Dalberg

I have a closed box system which opens an html page. The page closes by the
system. I have access to the html page. I added code to open a child window
from this page. However when the parent window closes, the child closes
too. Is there a way to keep the child window open? Yes keep it orphaned.

kaeli

I have a closed box system which opens an html page. The page closes by the
system. I have access to the html page. I added code to open a child window
from this page. However when the parent window closes, the child closes
too. Is there a way to keep the child window open? Yes keep it orphaned.

I wouldn't think it would close in the first place, if it's truly a new
window (read: browser instance).
Might there be code in the parent doing this?
If so, catch the event and stop it, but that might really fudge up the parent
from closing if they put code in to stop closing if the child couldn't close.

MSIE?
Normal or HTA?

~kaeli~
Murphy's Law #2000: If enough data is collected, anything
may be proven by statistical methods.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

John Dalberg

I wouldn't think it would close in the first place, if it's truly a new
window (read: browser instance).
Might there be code in the parent doing this?
If so, catch the event and stop it, but that might really fudge up the parent
from closing if they put code in to stop closing if the child couldn't close.

MSIE?
Normal or HTA?

Actually there was code in the parent window that closed the child. An
onload event.