How to keep IE from timing out on long operation

Matt Houser

It seems that IE8 is less forgiving for long operations than previous
versions. 10 seconds and it abandons the connection.

Is there a way I can have my aspx file inform IE about how long to wait, or
to give it some indication that data is coming during a long operation (like
a long SQL query).

Thanks,
....Matt

Scott M.

Matt Houser said:
It seems that IE8 is less forgiving for long operations than previous
versions. 10 seconds and it abandons the connection.

This doesn't happen with IE8 for me. Usually, it's the server that informs
the client that something has timed out.
Is there a way I can have my aspx file inform IE about how long to wait,
or to give it some indication that data is coming during a long operation
(like a long SQL query).

Have you tried extending the connection timeout on your SQL connection?

-Scott

Matt Houser

Scott M. said:
This doesn't happen with IE8 for me. Usually, it's the server that
informs the client that something has timed out.

IE8 always bombs after 10 seconds. I've had it consistently happen on all
websites (not just my dev sites) on 2 computers (one vista, one w7). 10
seconds seems to be the magic number.
Have you tried extending the connection timeout on your SQL connection?

The SQL connection is not the issue. My code keeps working and the aspx
code completes. IE just isn't around anymore to receive the data.

....Matt

Scott M.

Matt Houser said:
"Scott M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
IE8 always bombs after 10 seconds. I've had it consistently happen on all
websites (not just my dev sites) on 2 computers (one vista, one w7). 10
seconds seems to be the magic number.

Ok, well, it must be a system issue then because I'm telling you that my IE8
doesn't have that 10 issue. When I encounter sites with errors or sites
that take longer to connect to, my IE8 will try for upwards of 30 seconds or
so before bombing out.

-Scott

Andrew Morton

Matt said:
IE8 always bombs after 10 seconds. I've had it consistently happen
on all websites (not just my dev sites) on 2 computers (one vista,
one w7). 10 seconds seems to be the magic number.

The default timeout for IE8 is 60 minutes; how to change it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/181050

Or is there some other network device (e.g. a firewall) between your
computers and the Internet which could be timing out?

Andrew