    a long SQL query).

    Thanks,
    ....Matt
    Matt Houser, Jan 14, 2010

  2. Matt Houser

    Scott M. Guest

    "Matt Houser" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > It seems that IE8 is less forgiving for long operations than previous
    > versions. 10 seconds and it abandons the connection.

    This doesn't happen with IE8 for me. Usually, it's the server that informs
    the client that something has timed out.

    > Is there a way I can have my aspx file inform IE about how long to wait,
    > or to give it some indication that data is coming during a long operation
    > (like a long SQL query).

    Have you tried extending the connection timeout on your SQL connection?

    -Scott
    Scott M., Jan 14, 2010

  3. Matt Houser

    Matt Houser Guest

    "Scott M." <> wrote in message

    > "Matt Houser" <> wrote in message
    >> It seems that IE8 is less forgiving for long operations than previous
    >> versions. 10 seconds and it abandons the connection.

    > This doesn't happen with IE8 for me. Usually, it's the server that
    > informs the client that something has timed out.

    IE8 always bombs after 10 seconds. I've had it consistently happen on all
    websites (not just my dev sites) on 2 computers (one vista, one w7). 10
    seconds seems to be the magic number.

    >> Is there a way I can have my aspx file inform IE about how long to wait,
    >> or to give it some indication that data is coming during a long operation
    >> (like a long SQL query).

    > Have you tried extending the connection timeout on your SQL connection?

    The SQL connection is not the issue. My code keeps working and the aspx
    code completes. IE just isn't around anymore to receive the data.

    ....Matt
    Matt Houser, Jan 14, 2010
  4. Matt Houser

    > "Scott M." <> wrote in message

    > IE8 always bombs after 10 seconds. I've had it consistently happen on all
    > websites (not just my dev sites) on 2 computers (one vista, one w7). 10
    > seconds seems to be the magic number.

    Ok, well, it must be a system issue then because I'm telling you that my IE8
    doesn't have that 10 issue. When I encounter sites with errors or sites
    that take longer to connect to, my IE8 will try for upwards of 30 seconds or
    so before bombing out.

    -Scott
    Scott M., Jan 14, 2010
  5. Matt Houser wrote:
    > "Scott M." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Matt Houser" <> wrote in message
    >>> It seems that IE8 is less forgiving for long operations than
    >>> previous versions. 10 seconds and it abandons the connection.

    >> This doesn't happen with IE8 for me. Usually, it's the server that
    >> informs the client that something has timed out.

    > IE8 always bombs after 10 seconds. I've had it consistently happen
    > on all websites (not just my dev sites) on 2 computers (one vista,
    > one w7). 10 seconds seems to be the magic number.

    The default timeout for IE8 is 60 minutes; how to change it:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/181050

    Or is there some other network device (e.g. a firewall) between your
    computers and the Internet which could be timing out?

    Andrew
    Andrew Morton, Jan 15, 2010