How to launch stored procedure without waiting for response

Lyle Bruney

I have a asp page that launches a specified stored procedure using the
sqlCommand object. The stored procedure will take several hours to complete
so I don't want the user to wait around for the response.

Is there a solid method/solution for ensuring that the stored procedure is
fired off and then the web page can be closed without repercussions to the
requested stored procedure execution?

I have tried using the sqlCommand object's (BeginExecuteNonQuery()) method
but it requires the ENdExecuteNonQuery() method before it completes and
allows the code to continue forward.

What alternative solutions and/or answers to this question can be utilized?

Thanks in advance!

bruce barker

the sp should be setup as a sqljob. the asp.net page can start the job
via a sp call.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Mr. Arnold

Lyle said:
I have a asp page that launches a specified stored procedure using the
sqlCommand object. The stored procedure will take several hours to complete
so I don't want the user to wait around for the response.

Is there a solid method/solution for ensuring that the stored procedure is
fired off and then the web page can be closed without repercussions to the
requested stored procedure execution?

I have tried using the sqlCommand object's (BeginExecuteNonQuery()) method
but it requires the ENdExecuteNonQuery() method before it completes and
allows the code to continue forward.

What alternative solutions and/or answers to this question can be utilized?

If you're running SQL 2005 or better, then use SQL Server Broker's
message queue to run the sproc asynchronous.

<http://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2006/06/01/program-sql-server-2005s-service-broker.aspx>

Lyle Bruney

I can't create a sqljob to run this. Security issues/concerns by our network
security officer.

Lyle Bruney

I will look into this but at first glance, NOT easy to set up and implement.

Why doesn't the BeginExecuteNonQuery() method work like it was designed??