    The one site I am doing the tute with says something about getting style
    master to edit your css. What I have will do that or is there something
    better recommended?
    naitsirch79, Jul 2, 2003

  2. naitsirch79

    brucie Guest

    In post <JhrMa.2077$2.webusenet.com>
    naitsirch79 said...

    > what is the best way to learn css.

    plain text editor. yes, really. same with HTML

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 02/July/2003 12:37:11 pm kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/
    brucie, Jul 2, 2003

  3. naitsirch79

    Mark Parnell Guest

    naitsirch79 wrote:
    > I have homesite and dreamweaver. But what is the best way to learn
    > css. The one site I am doing the tute with says something about
    > getting style master to edit your css. What I have will do that or
    > is there something better recommended?

    I don't know about Homesite, but Dreamweaver is pretty shocking when it
    comes to CSS. I always edit the CSS in a text editor (Notepad will work
    fine).

    --

    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Jul 2, 2003
  4. naitsirch79

    naitsirch79 Guest

    I am getting the demo from topstyle,

    That seems to be the best one out there, nothing but good reviews, and
    supposed to be better than even homesite.

    hehehe, we shall see.
    naitsirch79, Jul 2, 2003
  5. naitsirch79

    spaghetti Guest

    "naitsirch79" <> wrote in message
    > I have homesite and dreamweaver. But what is the best way to learn css.
    > The one site I am doing the tute with says something about getting style
    > master to edit your css. What I have will do that or is there something
    > better recommended?

    Try to stay away from Dreamweaver, but Homesite is OK, since it's a
    text-editor at heart.

    Cutting and pasting from an older post of mine:

    http://www.westciv.com/style_master/academy/css_tutorial/

    And though it seems too complex to consider, the reference on W3 is actually
    quite good and easy to understand. Lots of stuff you can skim through. I'd
    suggest practicing all the things you learn here with a good CSS browser
    like the latest Mozilla or Opera, and then later you can learn the
    workarounds required to get your pages to look nice on crummy browsers.

    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/
    spaghetti, Jul 2, 2003
  6. naitsirch79

    Chris Morris Guest

    "naitsirch79" <> writes:
    > Oh and I hate text editors. you have to save then view in browser, yada
    > yada yada. When I first got my home site I was so happy. I will never go
    > back to .txt pad.

    Hmm, I hate "WYSISWG" editors for about the same reason. You have to
    save, then view in browser, then open a text editor to fix all the
    holes the editor put in your code (a decent text editor beats a
    "WYSIWYG" editor's code view mode for ease of use any day), *then*
    view in browser again to check you got them all.

    And if you're going to test the site in multiple browsers anyway, one
    extra step to test it in the first one doesn't seem like a lot of
    work, especially since most "WYSIWYG" editors have their *own* HTML
    rendering engine not found on any browser.

    --
    Chris
    Chris Morris, Jul 2, 2003
  7. naitsirch79

    brucie Guest

    In post <7HrMa.2245$2.webusenet.com>
    naitsirch79 said...

    > Oh and I hate text editors. you have to save then view in browser, yada
    > yada yada.

    only the basic ones

    try edit plus http://www.editplus.com/

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 02/July/2003 05:52:08 pm kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/
    brucie, Jul 2, 2003
  8. naitsirch79

    Daniel Vesma Guest

    > Oh and I hate text editors. you have to save then view in browser, yada
    > yada yada. When I first got my home site I was so happy. I will never go
    > back to .txt pad.

    Is it really that hard?

    Alt+F
    Alt+TAB

    DV
    Daniel Vesma, Jul 2, 2003
  9. naitsirch79 wrote:
    > Oh and I hate text editors. you have to save then view in browser, yada
    > yada yada. When I first got my home site I was so happy. I will never go
    > back to .txt pad.

    For simple and/or amateurish styling I guess some "WYSIWYG" CSS editor
    is probably fine, so if that's the level you want to work on, go ahead
    with whatever visual editor you find.

    But if you want to work with more complex things, or have to work on a
    professional, not just "proffesional webdresign" level, you won't get
    around actually LEARNING CSS, and the problems many browsers have with
    handling it. This is not something a visual editor can do for you. It's
    best done with a couple good CSS references, a text editor, and all the
    browsers your client wants to have supported.

    Matthias
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Jul 2, 2003
  10. naitsirch79

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 22:28:17 -0400, "naitsirch79" <>
    wrote:

    > I have homesite and dreamweaver. But what is the best way to learn css.
    > The one site I am doing the tute with says something about getting style
    > master to edit your css. What I have will do that or is there something
    > better recommended?

    Learn CSS before you start editing it with StyleMaster.

    http://www.westciv.com/style_master/academy/hands_on_tutorial/

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Jul 2, 2003
  11. naitsirch79

    naitsirch79 Guest

    Wow you guys are pretty adamant about not using a "wysiwyg". Lets get
    something straight. First of all, thanks for all your input.

    I have learned a lot. However. I edit my html with homesite. which
    someone previoulsy said that is a text editor. So great for that. Secondly
    I don't know what wysiwyg even means. LMAO. Thridly, I like topstyle
    because it is like homesite. Where homesite kicks but for html editing and
    please don't try and tell me notepad is better, than topstyle kicks but for
    css editing and management. Now, I don't know how many of you actually
    tried and used topstyle or something like it but all I see it does is cut
    down dramatically on my learning curve. Think about it, I don't have to
    learn each and every capability and command to make that capability happen
    for every single moment. You won't be able to do it without some type of
    book right beside you as a reference. And that is all I would use topstyle
    for. as far as this whole notion as for what you see is what you get. To
    me that means something more along the lines of dreamweaver or frontpage.
    Not an actuall editor, being you call it text, css, or html editor that is
    all they do. You don't have to remember every color code and yada yada
    yada.

    In conclusion I think the real argument here is whether or not to study
    insainley for a couple months, still not be able to remember everything, and
    then buy some 80 dollar book to have by my side as a refference. I then
    could probably do css just fine and be pretty good at it. However I will
    take my chances with an css editor like topstyle and push my learning curve
    to weeks and complete compentence in months instead of learning in months
    and competence by next year. Again I don't see the wysiwyg part in an css
    editor, perhaps somebody could clear that up for me.
    naitsirch79, Jul 2, 2003
  12. naitsirch79

    > I don't know what wysiwyg even means.

    WYSIWYG: What You See Is What You Get

    > take my chances with an css editor like topstyle and push my learning

    curve
    > to weeks and complete compentence in months instead of learning in months
    > and competence by next year. Again I don't see the wysiwyg part in an css

    I learned to use CSS in just a few days, then learned to adapt it to the
    quirks of various browsers in just a few more weeks. Well, that part of it
    is ongoing, so I'll probably never be finished learning that...
    spaghetti, Jul 2, 2003
  13. naitsirch79

    naitsirch79 Guest

    So you agree with me?