how to let bgcolor show through white of my image

Mike

I have an image that has round corners, however the file itself is in
the shape of a rectangle, so that when I try to display it on my
webpage with a background color, the background color forms a
rectangle around the image with the white color still there. I want
the background color to wrap around the image without any white
showing. Please help! Mike

Jonathan N. Little

Mike said:
I have an image that has round corners, however the file itself is in
the shape of a rectangle, so that when I try to display it on my
webpage with a background color, the background color forms a
rectangle around the image with the white color still there. I want
the background color to wrap around the image without any white
showing. Please help! Mike

Hmmm, as I press my fingers to my temples, I see a web page and I see
its source code and I can tell from this vision that the image's source
is jpeg that don't support transparency and...

Sounds silly doesn't it? Well lets try this again, post a URL to the
page in question and then we do not have to resort to voodoo or WAG's

patrick j

I have an image that has round corners, however the file itself is in
the shape of a rectangle, so that when I try to display it on my
webpage with a background color, the background color forms a
rectangle around the image with the white color still there. I want
the background color to wrap around the image without any white
showing. Please help! Mike

Well I think the solution to this is to make that white transparent.

This will work with some image types, most notably with GIFs.

This is a job for your image editor. I don't know what you have but looking
through the instructions for transparency will tell all no doubt.

At this web-site:

<http://www.inventoryworks.co.uk>

the little graphic clipboard has round corners but the image is a rectangle
of course. The square corners of the image are transparent.

Mike

Hmmm, as I press my fingers to my temples, I see a web page and I see
its source code and I can tell from this vision that the image's source
is jpeg that don't support transparency and...

Sounds silly doesn't it? Well lets try this again, post a URL to the
page in question and then we do not have to resort to voodoo or WAG's

The images are jpeg, i didn't post the URL because it's down right now
while I straighten some things out. Sounds like the only way to fix
it is with some image editing software. I would think this would be a
common problem since so many jpeg images are placed on websites with
color backgrounds.... is there an easier way than using software like
photoshop, etc. thanks again! mike

dorayme

"Mike said:
The images are jpeg, i didn't post the URL because it's down right now
while I straighten some things out. Sounds like the only way to fix
it is with some image editing software. I would think this would be a
common problem since so many jpeg images are placed on websites with
color backgrounds.... is there an easier way than using software like
photoshop, etc. thanks again! mike

Pictures on computers are generally rectangular things. They can
seem not to be this if the colours in the surrounds of them are
the same as the colours of the background of the page. Or if the
picture has been prepared to be "transparent" in some areas. So
you need to prepare pics to get what you want. And to learn which
types of file support what sorts of transparency.

Jonathan N. Little

The images are jpeg, i didn't post the URL because it's down right now
while I straighten some things out. Sounds like the only way to fix
it is with some image editing software. I would think this would be a
common problem since so many jpeg images are placed on websites with
color backgrounds.... is there an easier way than using software like
photoshop, etc. thanks again! mike

Woa! Guess the crystal ball is working! But it would be much easier not
to divine the answer, post at least a demo page URL next time.

JPEGs do not support transparency, you need either GIF or PNG.

Jonathan N. Little

Bergamot said:
Or use your image editor to "paint" the white background of the jpg to
match the page background color.

You can but generally JPEGs lossy compression may change your carefully
matched color for the background during compression. JPEGs are really
good of this, either is a paletted GIF for lossless compressed PNG

Bergamot

Jonathan said:
JPEGs do not support transparency, you need either GIF or PNG.

Or use your image editor to "paint" the white background of the jpg to
match the page background color.

Mike

Well I guess I'll have to figure out what the best image editing
software is for my needs. I'd like to continue using jpeg. Thanks
all for the input. Mike