how to let gcc warn me when I use = in conditions

Mark McIntyre

Hmm... That's amazing. How is it that you know what's more readable to
me, and I, apparently, don't?

Come on, get real. How often have you, the software designer, given
users what they *really* want, and ignored what they claimed to want,
because your experience told you that it was merely what they were
used to?
Am I deluding myself?

Almost certainly. Though I refuse to specify what about.

Alan Balmer

Come on, get real. How often have you, the software designer, given
users what they *really* want, and ignored what they claimed to want,
because your experience told you that it was merely what they were
used to?

Without mentioning my own designs in particular, I suspect that this
happens less often than the reverse, where a software designer builds
something that seems the best way to him, but the customers hate it.
I'm not that much of an egomaniac. I will suggest "improvements", and
even implement them and ask customers to try them for a while, but I
won't be surprised if their idea of how to do their job is better than
mine.

In any case, this isn't the same situation. I have read much code,
including a good many conditionals written backward :). I've seen
both ways, and I prefer mine. YMMV.
Almost certainly. Though I refuse to specify what about.

Well, as long as it's not about the chocolate.

Richard Bos

Mark McIntyre said:
So, you would tell Alan that the second version is not, as he says, more
readable to him, because _you_ know better what is readable to _him_
than he himself?

Joking aside, its frequently the case that the designer has a better
idea of what the user wants than the user does.[/QUOTE]

We're not talking about a user and a designer here, we're talking about
two (or three) programmers: you, and Alan (and me).
Did you just call my pint a jessie?

No. I called your pint a half of Heineken.
I'm unclear whether you agree with Alan that he knows what he likes,
or that you also like odd ways of writing stuff, or that you're called
napoleon.

I'm sure Alan knows better what he likes than you do, in this case I
agree with Alan in that the second version is more readable to me as
well, and I'm not called Napoleon but Richard Bos.

I make no comments about little green men, because they asked me not to.

Richard

Rob Thorpe

Peter said:
Alternatively, another reason not to use GNU Emacs :)

If you don't like it you don't have to enable it. Just like if you
don't like GNU Emacs you don't have to use it.