How to let perl debugger use a GNU screen window when fork()'ing ?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by lilostitch, May 20, 2007.

  1. lilostitch

    lilostitch Guest

    normally when I run perl debugger,
    if there is a fork() in the code,
    the debugger tries to open a new xterm window,
    but in many case, I can't open xterm (for example, in a console only
    env )

    I am thinking to use GNU screen to provide the new tty,

    I re-defined
    sub DB::get_fork_TTY {
    return "/dev/pts/2"
    }

    where I already have a gnu screen window open, whose "tty" output is /
    dev/pts/2

    then, when I debug the perl code,
    after the fork(), something is output to that GNU screen window,
    and I can type characters, but as soon as I type the ENTER, the screen
    window is frozen,

    it seems that my procedure should be OK, all the child needs is a tty
    to send output to, and get input from,
    where am I wrong/?

    Thanks

    Yang